Search Feature

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Spatchcocked Game Hens n Rice on the Fire

For those who can't tell the difference....these game hens are spatchcocked, not butterflied. :)

I roasted a few game hens on my tractor rim cooker while camping last weekend.... They were tasty, moist and tender. :)




I started out by brining my birds in a mixture of water, kosher salt, cracked black pepper, red pepper flakes, onions and garlic...
I let these brine for a few hours.



Next I fried up some crispy bacon in my little cast iron pot.....







I sauteed minced garlic, onion and green onion in the bacon drippings....



Also added a bit of butter to the pot......




Then poured in some chicken broth.....




Stirred in my rice. covered the pot and let it simmer on low heat.....



I spatchcocked the game hens for even cooking......layed them over the fire....







Then turned the birds frequently for even cooking.......




My crispy bacon mysteriously disappeared.......so I moved my rice pot over here while I fried up a whole pound of bacon. :)




After frying more bacon, I placed my rice back on the low fire to warm up.

Then I added crispy bacon, minced green onion and a bit more butter to my pot of rice.....




It was soooooo goooood. lol



The little game hens weren't pretty but they were moist and tasty!



By the way.... this was not my plate. lol There is no way I could eat a whole game hen, I did manage to eat one hind quarter, some rice and cucs. :)





It was a tasty meal by the lake! :)

10 comments:

Chris said...

Taking notes on your rice dish:) I made some dirty rice on the Egg yesterday. I am loving learning how to use the dutch oven!

Funny how that bacon just disappears while waiting around, isn't it? I think it's aliens.

Anonymous said...

Hey Miss S! That looks like a "man" sized plate....whats goin on? You must have the sniffles, itchy,watery eyes maybe?

I kill me :)

DianeLynn said...

It does look good...and there is nothing like food cooked over an open fire.

Anonymous said...

I've been watching your posts for a while and I love the food you make!!! You bring outdoor cooking to a new level. Thanks for all the great ideas.

cowgirl said...

lol Chris, I think you're right, it must be aliens. :)
Your dirty rice on the egg sounds wonderful!! I bet the smoke from the egg added a lot too!

cowgirl said...

lol Mr D!!
There WAS a man there, but he was my friend's husband.
You kill me too! lol

cowgirl said...

Thank you Diane, I agree! Everything tastes so good over a fire and out in the middle of nowhere. :) I love it!

cowgirl said...

Anonymous, Thank you so much! I appreciate you stopping in to post and I do appreciate you reading my blog.
I love cooking outdoors....well just being outdoors too. lol

Thank you Anonymous! :)

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Jeanie, if the first batch of bacon did'nt mysteriously disappear, do you think you might have had more than just one hind quarter of game hen? lol. That does look like a tastey little bird though. I'm sure I would give a whole one a try.

cowgirl said...

lolol Mark!! I spit my drink out laughing!
I put the crispy bacon on a paper plate and covered it with a paper towel...then placed it on a folding table. That's the last I saw of it! lol

It was a pretty tasty bird though. I just couldn't eat my share. lol

Thanks Mark!! :)