Search Feature

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Bread on the Drum

I make this bread in my house a lot, and have made it on my horizontal smoker. This time I tried it in my drum smoker with a bit of hickory.

I disolve 1 Pkg of yeast with
1 1/4 cups of warm water
Then add 1 tsp of sugar
1 tsp of salt
2 TBS of oil

Mix well...




Add 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 cups of flour.. knead for 5 minutes.

I knead it right in my bowl.



Cover and let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour...


Roll it back into a ball, place in a skillet...



I flatten it out a bit to make it spread a bit instead of rising high. This just makes a bigger sandwich. When I make this bread to munch on, I do not flatten it out.
I brushed the dough with bacon drippings then topped with minced onions. Covered and let it rise for one more hour...







Into my drum smoker....

The bread is ready when you rap the top and it sounds hollow...




I used this loaf to make my Big Honkin' Smoked Chuck sandwich. :)







8 comments:

Mrs. JP said...

That bread looks awesome....if u were to bake it what temp and time do you think?

cowgirl said...

Thank you so much Mrs JP!

When I bake it in the oven I bake at 375 for about 25 to 30 minutes.

You can also add onion powder to the yeast mixture, it adds a bit more flavor.
Good luck with it! :)

Carol Ayers said...

Oh MY, That Looks Incredibly delicious! You have some incredible recipes here and I will definitely be back to soak up more! Keep it comin, Cowgirl.
I'm going to definitely try the vinegar drink.

cowgirl said...

Thank you Carol!
I hope you enjoy my blog. :)

LT72884 said...

more vents open in the drum means more air to fire which makes it hotter right?

thanx. your bread looks good. actually better than good

cowgirl said...

That's right Matt! If you open more air vents at the bottom, the fire will be hotter.

Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

What temperature do you smoke the bread at?

cowgirl said...

I like to smoke the bread at a high temperature. From 325 to 350.