Search Feature

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Chicken and Dumplings for Anonymous :)

I really wanted to make this outside over the fire, but the wind is not cooperating.
There are probably as many chicken and dumpling recipes as there are chili and gumbo recipes. This is an easy one. I like to make both the flat/noodle dumplings and the puffier drop dumplings. This is a recipe for the noodle type..



Start by picking out a plump hen.....






Place cleaned chicken in a pot and cover with cold water.

Add chopped onion

chopped celery

2 bay leaves

1 teaspoon of basil

1 teaspoon of thyme

some garlic cloves...crushed or minced

salt and pepper

Also chopped carrots


Let the hen simmer covered, until tender...


Remove the bird and debone. I like to leave the meat in fairly large pieces...





Look out the front door to see why the dogs are barking.....





Make your dumpling dough...

I use 2 cups of flour,

2 teaspoons of baking powder

1 1/4 teaspoon of salt

and enough milk to make dough easy to handle....about 2/3 of a cup.

Combine the dry ingredients, then add milk. Knead for about 5 minutes, cover and let it rest for 30 minutes.


Roll the dough out to 1/8" thick and cut into strips. A pizza cutter works great.


Bring the broth to a boil and drop a few dumpling noodles into the dough at a time. After all dumplings have been added, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. You can check them....make sure they are cooked through...


Add the chicken pieces back in the pot, adjust the salt and pepper and heat through....





I didn't really get a chicken out of my yard, those are my laying hens. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anonymous says Yummmmmm!

cowgirl said...

:) Thank you Anonymous. I will make a batch of the drop dumplings next time. :)

Anonymous said...

MMM Home made chikn n dumplings. That looks great neighbor. If I leave now..... ;) Seriously when can I move in. lol.... Thanks for the recipe!

Love ya girl!
SG

cowgirl said...

lol Thank you SG!
I'm glad Anonymous mentioned chicken and dumplings the other day. The weather is so cold right now, the dish warmed me up tonight. :)
I've got plenty of leftovers, if you leave now you might get here in a day or two. lol
Thanks again :)