Search Feature

Monday, December 1, 2008

Hey Bud's Smoked Pintos

This method of smoking pintos was sent to me by a smoking friend named HeyBud that contacted me through my blog.
All I can say is THANK YOU HeyBud! They came out very tasty and I will be doing these again. :)

I first soaked the pintos in water overnight, then drained.




I left the pintos in the colander and placed them in my smoker...this time I was using my cinderblock pit. (smoking a venison shoulder and some pork)

I let the pintos smoke for 2 hours.... I stirred them twice...



I brought the pintos inside, placed them in a dutch oven, covered them with water and added my ususal seasonings... onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, black pepper, thyme, oregano, basil and a hunk of smoked ham....

I let them simmer until almost tender....


Then I placed them back onto the smoker and let them smoke until tender....








They were wonderful, the extra smoke in the colander added so much flavor....


I heated some tortillas and filled with my smoked venison, cheese, salsa, lettuce, smoked pintos and some pork....







Thank you HeyBud!! :)

4 comments:

Nate said...

That looks pretty darn good! Are you a farmer/rancher? You sure do a lot of cool stuff all the time and are always posting great stuff during the week.

cowgirl said...

Thanks Nate! :)
I'm more of a rancher. No farm ground, only pasture....I raise cattle, horses, pigs, poultry and freshwater shrimp. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Neighbor. :) Great looking meal there and the pintos look delicious. The one thing I'm wondering is, and I know you're a proper lady n all, ;) with the combination of Pinto Beans, and Venison/Chipotle pork tortillas, is there a surplus of natural gas down on the ranch now? Sounds like the makings for some cheap entertainment at hunting camp. Hope Ya'll had a great time.

Smoking Gun.

cowgirl said...

LOL!! SG, how did you know?
One of my friends snapped a few pictures in the house and every one of them had what she called "orbs".
We decided they must have been jalapeno pickled egg orbs or pinto/chipotle orbs. lol

We did have a great time...thanks. :)