Search Feature

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Baked Steak, Biscuits and Creamy Pan Gravy on the smoker

I've made this in the past but usually put my pan gravy and steak in the smoker at the same time. This time I smoked the steak for an hour before adding the gravy...


I season the tenderized round steak with kosher salt and cracked black pepper, then dredge in flour...



Give them a quick browning in my cast iron skillet...



I placed the browned steaks in another skillet and into the smoker.....



Added a few potatoes rolled in olive oil and seasoned with cracked black pepper and kosher salt...



I made my pan gravy by browning a few onions in the steak drippings.....



Added seasonings and flour.....



Then enough milk to make the gravy a bit thin....



After smoking the steaks for 1 hour, I poured the pan gravy over them in the smoker.....



Then made a batch of biscuit dough....



I just formed the biscuits by hand and placed them in the smoker....



Let the biscuits and baked steak with creamy gravy smoke for another 35 minutes......




I tapped the biscuits to see if they were done. I had planned on brushing them with butter to brown them up a bit, but I forgot! :)



The smoked baked steak, creamy gravy, biscuits, potato and salad.....






The steak had a nice smoke ring.....



It was tasty and tender....



I wanted to see if the steak in the bottom of the skillet, (buried in the gravy) had a smoke ring too... It did. :)

14 comments:

Chris said...

I don't care if'n you call it country fried or chicken fried, I'd be all over that steak!

'Mater Biscuit said...

Smoked biscuits!?! You are the smokin'est person ever!!! I must admit to smoking a sackful of Krystals (a southern fast food variation of the slider burger), but never a biscuit. You are an inspiration! Keep on smokin'.

cowgirl said...

Chris, it's turning into one of my favorite ways to smoke steak. lol

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

I'm liking it Jeanie. Another excellent dish. You're makin me kinda hungry and I just ate a while ago.

cowgirl said...

Hey 'Mater, Thanks! :)
Smoked biscuits and gravy are pretty tasty!
Bet your sliders were good... I like the looks of your cinderblock pig too. :)
Thanks for stopping by!

cowgirl said...

Hi Mark!

I had plenty.. I would of shared with ya. lol
I'm glad to hear you took a supper break, I know you are keeping busy.
Hope all is well in Canada. :)
Thanks!

'Mater Biscuit said...

I found your site last year while I was researching cinderblock pits, so you may notice a resemblance to your pit ;) We did it again this 4th, but with a 110#'er and made sure to get those cracklins super crispy-Fantastic. Your site makes me want to remember to take my camera out!

cowgirl said...

I'm glad to hear that pit is working out for you Mater. :) Your pig sure looks tasty!
I like the crispy skin too.. it's probably my favorite part. lol
Would love to see more pictures. I'll keep an eye on your blog. :)

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Foul, No fair. Here I am fasting for some medical test later and I go and open this up. Now I have a drool covered keyboard and a growler going so loud that my coworker just asked if I had some kind of animal in my cubicle LOL.
Fantastic lookin vittles Jeanie.


Jerry.

Anonymous said...

Ok Sap...you know I have tomorrow off and am already starting to think about what I will be cooking. I just may be trying a variation of this with some venison. I need to start making room in the frerzer for this years harvest. Thanks for the ideas :)

MrD the S

cowgirl said...

Shoot Jerry! Hope all goes well with your tests!
Take good care of yourself, we want you around for a looooong time. :)

cowgirl said...

Hey Mr D! Thanks!
I've used this recipe with venison backstrap medallions but didn't smoke them... I think it would be great smoked.

Deer season is coming up fast. I'm not sure if I'm even ready for it. I still have plenty of meat to use. Guess I had better get busy!

Hope you enjoy your day off!

kej said...

I cannot wait to try this. Thank you for a detailed blog. You are inspiring me to use my smoker during the week also.

cowgirl said...

Thank you Kej! Hope the smoked steak turns out well for you! Thanks for stopping by. :)