Search Feature

Monday, June 14, 2010

Grilling on the Memphis Pro

So far I've had the opportunity to test the Memphis Pro Wood Fired Grill by slow smoking a Sausage Stuffed Pork Loin, and kicking up the heat to bake a skillet of jalapeno cornbread...(included in link above)
Also took advantage of the convection feature by roasting a Bacon Weave Wrapped Breakfast Fattie .

It was time for me to try out the grill feature... :)









I went with chicken fajitas... they are so easy and tasty.

I drizzled sliced onions, red, yellow, orange and green sweet peppers with olive oil, then sprinkled them with kosher salt and cracked black pepper...



Onto the pre-heated Memphis Pro with a few Andria Steak Sauce marinated chicken breasts..



When the veggies reached the tender-crisp stage I was looking for, I moved them to the second level grate and continued grilling the chicken breasts on the lower grate...




Moving the grilled chicken to the second grate gave me plenty of room to heat my tortillas...







The Memphis grilled chicken fajita.... topped with fresh pico de gallo and served with salsa, creamosa, guacamole and lime...






Slow smoke, bake, roast and grill... I'm convinced the Memphis Pro can do it all.. lol

19 comments:

David P. Offutt - The Gastronomic Gardener said...

Looks great and so does the food! Seriously though that is a nice piece of hardware. Grill envy...

Chris said...

That looks fajitalicious! This Memphis smoker seems to be quite the powerhouse. Sounds like a great addition to your quiver of smokers/grills.

cowgirl said...

lol Thank you Dave! It's quite a unit. I'm enjoying seeing what all it will do. :)

cowgirl said...

Haha.. Chris, the smoker can do it all! I think my drum is jealous.
Thanks Chris! :)

Ssteppe said...

Looks delicious. Two questions:
1. Did you open the grill just to take the photos, or was the grill open the whole time you were cooking?
2. What's "creamosa"?

cowgirl said...

Thank you Ssteppe,
I actually had the lid open more than closed. I was curious as to how the chicken was doing. There is no way for the drippings to flair-up so I probably could have grilled with the unit closed the whole time.
I'm still learning. :)

The creamosa is a sour cream that
I purchase at a local Mexican store.
Sour cream works fine in it's place.

Thanks again Ssteppe! :)

Rothe Homestead Farm said...

That's a great rig ya got there! Amazing what that can do in the right hands!! :)

Gene

cowgirl said...

:) Gene! Thanks... I'm having fun with the cooker.
It's good to see ya, hope all is well on the farm. :)

Marc van der Wouw said...

That's a nice wrap....love it...

Anonymous said...

What no beer???? Looks mighty fine from over here. Good job Jeanie

cowgirl said...

Thank you Marc! It was kind of tasty. :)

cowgirl said...

lol Thanks Anonymous. :) I didn't even think of having a cold beer with the fajita! They probably would have went well together.

Eric said...

I'm planning on cooking something very similar tonight. What temp and for how long did you cook this chicken?

cowgirl said...

Hi Eric!
I grilled at a fairly low temperature...around 450 F
These took not more than 30 minutes.
I check to make sure the chicken is cooked through (no pink) and pull them from the heat before they get too dry.
It's easy to dry out chicken breasts. Marinade does help keep them moist though.

Hope you have good luck with yours Eric!

Eric said...

Sorry to double comment you in one day, but I forgot to ask about the vegetables. Same temp? How long roughly?

Total newbie here...

cowgirl said...

Eric, no problem at all! Feel free to ask anything. I'm not always online but will get a reply to you asap. )
Same temp on the veggies, they take about 20 minutes. I stir them often for even cooking. When they are almost tender I move them off the heat.
I like them tender but not soggy. (hope that makes sense) :)

Good luck!

cowgirl said...

Eric I forgot to mention. The tortillas heat up really fast!! I just set them on the grill for a minute and turn them. You have to keep a close eye on them.
Good luck! :)

Eric said...

Your advice was very helpful, thanks! The timing for everything was made much easier with your tips.

I made them more as burritos than fajitas by smearing guacamole, salsa, chicken, vegetables, and cheese inside the tortilla, wrapping it, and placing it back on the grill for a few minutes.

Ended up very good.

cowgirl said...

Eric Thanks! I'm glad it helped.
Your's sound great.. I like the fillings you used!

Thanks :)