Search Feature

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Chicken Bog

This is another favorite of mine, especially during the cold winter months...
You can make it as spicy as you like.
This recipe makes a large batch, you can cut it down and use chicken pieces instead of a whole hen.

Place one plump hen in a pot and add 8 cups of water.
Then add...
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup of butter
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne powder ( more or less if you like)
1 small yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons of seasoned salt





Add 1 pound of sliced smoked sausage....

Cover and let the chicken simmer on low until tender.

I do turn the hen over for even cooking....



Remove the chicken and bay leaves, bring broth to boil, add 8 cups of instant rice....

Cover, reduce heat to low...simmer until rice is tender..


After the chicken has cooled, remove from the bone and add back into the pot....
I like large pieces.....



Add kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste...add more cayenne if needed...




I divide the batch and freeze portions for an easy meal....


The bog warms me up on a cool evening... :)



6 comments:

Irish said...

Winter is the best time to make those slow simmered dishes. Nice job Jeanie.

cowgirl said...

Thank you Irish, good to see ya!
Hope you are keeping warm up there in MD.

Winter is right around the corner....I'd love to try any cold weather recipes you'd care to share with me. :)

Anonymous said...

Mmm... that'd definitely warm me up too! Looks great Jeanie.

cowgirl said...

Thank you Mike!
I love the stuff. Love the smokey flavor of the sausage. :)

This recipe makes a huge batch, I should have enough little frozen meals to last me for a couple of months at least. lol

Anonymous said...

Hey Cowgirl this is Dave -- davidmcg from SMF. I am going to have my wife do up some Chicken Bog tomorrow, sure looks good.

cowgirl said...

Thanks Dave!
Hope you two enjoy it!
I have to warn you...it makes a lot. lol ...but it freezes well. :)