Search Feature

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Comal Cookin' (Beef Cheek Tacos)





This was a cook from the 4th of July weekend. I've had the comal pan since last October and haven't taken the time to use it. I was hoping to use it with a new cooker/burner that I'm putting together.
The project is on hold for now so I decided to give the pan a try on the Browning burner set up.


added a bit of oil...




Started with onions and peppers... The comal is hotter in the center, over the burner so I cook everything in the middle and scootch it to the sides to keep warm.





I precooked the beef cheeks and had them bagged and ready to go.  Also seasoned the some shrimp so they would be a quick cook.
For variety I added chicken and some venison...

Just heated everything in the center and moved them to the side. It went fairly quick.




When the meats were cooked, I heated corn tortillas...



Set it up "self serve" style..




Didn't get a pic of the trimmin's... had the usual pico, limes, salsas, hot sauce, lettuce, cheese...

I went with one beef cheek and one venison taco....





I like this kind of meal, you can eat as little or as much as you like. Kind of graze all night. :)
Beef cheeks are one of my favorites. I like to prepare them in advance, bag and freeze the meat for quick taco meals.
The comal pan worked fine. I need to get back to the comal burner project. It's taking up too much room in the shop, I want to get it finished and put it to use soon.



Hope you all are keeping safe and cool this summer. Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

Jim Dorchak said...

Very nice for when you have friends over on the patio for a good long eat. I have never seen or heard of one of these pans. They of course have DISCOS here in Chile for cooking over the fire. Which is of course a disk off of a broken disk harrow. Very neat way to do it. Was it hard to clean up?

By the way here is my vid on Boris/ Catlin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3IONzLkPLk

I do not blog so much I like video, it just seems easier.

Also I have heard when I lived in France of hams cured using the ashes from the fireplace. Have you ever heard of this?

Thanks Jim

Mark said...

It's been a couple of years since I came by, but I see your standards are higher than ever. Good stuff here - keep it up!

I'm going to have to drop in and eat one day...

Mark

Jim Dorchak said...

Hey Jeannie are you ok? Haven't heard from you in a while?

Errol Wayne said...

Been missing ya!

cowgirl said...

Wow Jim, great video! Thank you!!
Your place is looking nice, you've got it made! :) I bet Catlin was tasty. lol
Things have been busy here... with that and photobucket problems, it's been a pain trying to post on my blog. I'm going to try skipping photobucket and using some other way.
The comal is stainless, it's kind of hard to clean. I oil it after each use for storage, that helps some. Discadas are nice, I have one but it's leaking.... need to get busy and weld it. :)
I've heard of using ash in curing but have not tried it. Let me know if you do!
Thanks for stopping by and for the nice messages. I've missed ya! :)

cowgirl said...

Thanks so much Mark, good to hear from you!

cowgirl said...

Thank you Errol Judy! Missing you too. :)