Search Feature

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Brisket on the Memphis Pro

One of my favorite things to smoke is beef brisket.... I'm actually kinda picky about my brisket. lol
I always smoke briskets on my horizontal wood burner or bury them in an underground pit. I do not even trust my little drum smoker (which I love) to smoking a brisket...

It was time to put the Memphis Pro to the brisket test... :)

I covered the deflector with foil for easy clean-up, added a drip pan containing beer and a few wild onions....then pre-heated the Pro...


The brisket was seasoned with cracked black pepper and kosher salt... I like the flavor of good beef and do not use a dry rub. The flavor of the beef should be able to stand on it's own.




I set the Memphis Pro to 225 degrees F and sat back to let it do the work...




I should have mentioned that I used hickory pellets on this smoke.




I did not weigh the brisket but at 225 degrees it smoked for about 9 hours to reach an internal temperature of 195F. I covered the meat in foil and let it rest....




The brisket was so juicy and tender......




The smoke ring was not as pronounced as it would have been on the woodburner...but it was there... and the smoke flavor came through nicely....





I could have made a meal from the sliced brisket but decided to make a quick sandwich...



The Memphis Pro smoked brisket topped with Billy Sim's Boot Kickin' Hot Q sauce....



I was very happy with the outcome! One of the benefits to the Pro was being able to set it and forget it while I did other things around the farm. I didn't have to add fuel every hour or so like I would have with the horizontal wood burner.

I am trying very hard not to get spoiled by this smoker.... but a day off once in awhile sure is nice. :)

16 comments:

Rothe Homestead Farm said...

Boy that looks good Jeanie!!!
Looks like ya got that Memphis Pro kickin out some fine meals.
What time is Dinner?



Gene

Mrs. JP said...

I was thinking the same thing. She's gonna be spoiled! When we smoke, it's check the temp, don't let it get too hot, add some hickory,,,etc. Like you say, set it, forget it and then enjoy.

cowgirl said...

Thanks Gene! So far I really like the food it's produced.
Dinner is whenever you can get here from CT. lol I'll fire up the grill!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Mrs JP! I know you and JP enjoy smoking too..bet you two put out some grear food!
sometimes it's fun to tend a fire and sometimes it's nice to sit back and watch. :)

Big Dude said...

Sure looks like a nice moist brisket - bet it was delicious.

David P. Offutt - The Gastronomic Gardener said...

Really nice! I am edging closer to a smoker. Being up north I really want to do some cold smoking this winter, but also just being able to smoke when I want would be great and not have to futz around ith my gas grill and a little smoker box. The Memphis, while being highly versatile, is also pretty pricey right now for me. It is a fun dilemma to have....
Best,
Dave

creaky old fart said...

Why don't you do briskets in your drum?

cowgirl said...

Thank you Larry, it was tasty! :)

cowgirl said...

Dave, I'm really enjoying being able to smoke when it wasn't always possible for me to find the time.... I am able to get a few things accomplished while the Pro is doing the cooking.
I hope you try some cold smoking this winter.. home smoked bacon is so tasty.. also cold smoked nuts and spices... :)

Thanks Dave!

cowgirl said...

Creaky, cause I love the ones that come out of my horizontal. :)

tjus77 said...

I agree Jeannie, brisket should stand on its own with very little rub or sauce. I also love it on my horizontal, but that did look awesome, as usual.

Chris said...

Nice looking brisket, not at all dry. I like the simple S & P rub.

cowgirl said...

TJ...me too! You and I seem to have a lot of the same tastes in things. :)
Thanks!

cowgirl said...

Chris, Thanks! It was full of flavor too. I was happy with the outcome. :)

Anonymous said...

Damn, your posts always make me feel hungry! It's almost 1am and now I'm wondering what I can go and rustle up!!

cowgirl said...

lol Thanks Jimmy! I'm enjoying your blog.. glad to see you posting again! :)