Search Feature

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Jalapeno Pickled Eggs by Texas Hunter

A really nice and talented smoking friend named Texas Hunter was kind enough to share his method of making jalapeno pickled eggs.
He was kind enough to share his dove sausage recipe earlier this fall.... http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/10/dove-sausage.html

I served these at "deer camp".... aka my house during Thanksgiving week. They were a huge hit. :)

Please check out Texas Hunter's site when you get the chance. He's got some great hunting gear and lots of other good stuff. :)
http://www.texas-hunters.com/Shop/


Texas Hunters recipe...
This is the down and dirty way and the fastest I know of... You will need...
1 Dozen Large Eggs
2 32 Oz Can Jalapenos ( Sliced or Whole ) I prefer whole
1 Med Onion Cut Into 1/4's
1 lb. Baby Carrots Leave Whole
3- 4 Stalks Celery Chopped Into 2" peaces
64 Oz Jug or Jar
Boil your eggs, shell and add to jar with veggies... Pour in peppers and all the juice till covered..If you want it a little more spice to it ...Chop some of the whole jalapenos and put in with the eggs..


I started out by hard boiling some eggs from my hens....





I decided to add some smoked sausage and garlic cloves too...




I poured all of the juice into the jar and only a few of the peppers.... You can add more peppers if you like it hot!



The eggs need to sit in your fridge for 2 weeks.... it's hard to wait that long, but they are worth the wait. :)


They were a big hit during deer season, I will be making more soon. :)

Thank you again TH!

12 comments:

Mike said...

Yum - I think I need to make some of those!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Mike,
They really are tasty! If you add some of the jalapenos, you can make them as hot as you like.

Mark said...

Nice presentation! I see TH's influence keeps spreading... Your photos always add to your stories. Guess I need to toss up some more recipes. These look absolutely yummy!

cowgirl said...

Thank you MGwerks!
That TH is one talented fellow. :)

Anonymous said...

I've never tried pickled eggs, they're not that popular up here in the northwest... what do they taste like?

cowgirl said...

Hi Mike!
Not sure if I can describe them...have you ever tried hot pickled sausages? They are kind of spicy, and have a pickle or vinegar flavor to them.
Here in my area, they even make hot pickled turkey gizzards. lol

They really are tasty though...hope you give them a try.

Nate said...

Looks good Cowgirl. Might have to try this out. Do the veggies get soft or do they stay crunchy?

cowgirl said...

Thanks Nate!
The celery got a bit soft, but the carrots still had crunch. They were pretty tasty too.
Hope you give them a try. I liked the eggs sliced and served on a cracker. :)

Anonymous said...

lol... well about the only thing we pickle around here are pickles. So, no never had pickled sausage either. I may have to try it just for kicks though.

cowgirl said...

lol...Mike, who knows, you might start something new up there...or they might just boot you out of the state. :) lol

Anonymous said...

Hi Cowgirl
What an excellent site you have here. I love your attitude and spirit as well as your great recipes and ideas. Are you single? :)
Here's a couple suggestions/variations for pickling eggs:
Use beet juice in the brine to sweeten and color it (it will add a nice shade of red to those sausages).
Tumeric adds a nice shade of yellow and some flavor.
If you want to eat some sooner just slice some of your eggs in two and they will pickle quicker.
I have also tried smoking the eggs before and after picling them but it's tricky, they can get rubbery if you overdo them.

I'm sure glad I stumbled on to your great site.
Ibesmokin

cowgirl said...

Thank you for the kind words Ibesmokin, I appreciate it. :)

Also, I appreciate your suggestions and will give them a try on my next batch of eggs. Sounds great!

Thanks for checking out my blog. :)

and...yes I am single, but doing Ok with it right now. lol