Search Feature

Monday, May 18, 2009

Smoked Spam

I decided to try smoking some spam but kicked up the flavor a bit.
I used one regular flavored spam and one bacon flavored.




I sliced the bacon flavored spam almost all the way through, the scored the regular spam...




Placed them onto my drum cooker at 300 degrees with some hickory...

Mixed some brown sugar with cayenne pepper to top the bacon flavored spam.
Then minced some chipotle peppers in adobo for the other...



After an hour in the smoker, I painted the regular spam with the adobo sauce and put minced chipotles into the cracks...



I sprinkled the bacon flavored spam with the cayenne brown sugar, then spritzed with some crown royal whiskey....








After about another 15 minutes they were ready to eat....
The brown sugar/cayenne/ crown/ bacon flavored spam...



The chipotle pepper and adobo sauce spam.....



The brown sugar/cayenne/crown /bacon flavored spam slices had a nice crispy coating but were tender and moist in the middle..



The chipotle, adobo sauce spam, cubed....




They were both tasty I will definately do these again. :)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I gotta admit, I'm not a big fan of Spam....but that really does sound and look good!!
Hmmmm, looks like ya found a way to get me to try Spam again....real nice job, I'll bet it was quite tasty indeed!!


grothe

cowgirl said...

Thank you Gene!
I'm not a fan of spam either. I was happy with the way these came out though. Pretty tasty, I'll make them again sometime. :)

Anonymous said...

Jeanie,

Looks delicious as always.

My son loves his sliced,sprinkled with some rub, put on the grill,then makes a sammie with mayo & cheese.

Have a great day

OTT

cowgirl said...

Thanks OTT!
I like the sound of your grilled sliced spam. Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try! :)

Mrs. JP said...

yummy, yummy, yummy! You have good ideas. The next time we crank up the smoker I hope to have some spam out there.

Ken said...

Just say the word Crown and I'll try it...... Looks good Jeanie.

actually, Spam and I go way back together, love your recipe for these.
As always you have done good.... lol

Ken

cowgirl said...

Thank you Mrs JP!
I plan on making this again, maybe come up with some more topping ideas. :)

cowgirl said...

Thank you Ken!
I like crown on ham too. OK it's not bad mixed with coke and ice either. lol I do not drink it often, a bottle lasts me a long time. :)

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Thats some pretty fine looking spam Jeanie. Sounds real tastey to me.

cowgirl said...

Hey Thanks Mark!
Good to see ya. :)

Jeff said...

Cowgril will you marry me?
We could make good smoke together!

cowgirl said...

lol Jeff, please send photo of your smoker.
Just kidding!
Thanks for the laugh. :)

Frits said...

Jeanie,

Thanks for the recipe, after being on my to-do-list for over three years I finally made it yesterday.
It was great and I will make it more often.

Thanks for the inspiration,

Frits

cowgirl said...

Frits it's great to see you!!
Hope all is going well for you. I have missed you! :)
Your spam looks delicious, I'm happy to hear that you liked it.
I'm not sure if my blogger will allow me to post on your site but I will try.
Thanks so much for stopping by.
Many ((HUGS)) to you. :)