Search Feature

Monday, November 2, 2009

Beer Bread on the Drum

This is an easy bread to make... one of my favorites to bake while camping.
This loaf was for a big honkin turkey pastrami sandwich I made this weekend.


I mix 3 cups of self rising flour with
1/4 cup of sugar
a bit of salt
mixed with one beer. I used Tecate this time




put the dough into a cast iron skillet, gave it a quick brush with an egg wash and sprinkled chopped onions on top....




Into my drum at 300 degrees with some hickory...



The loaf took about 2 hours. I tap the top of the loaf and listen for a hollow sound.















My big honkin turkey pastrami sandwich.....




The turkey pastrami with bacon on beer bread, hickory smoked onion rings, twangy green bean pickles and some spicy brown mustard.


It was pretty tasty!

6 comments:

shinerbock said...

If you ever put together a cookbook, let me know, I'll be the 1st one in line. I haven't seen one bad looking meal yet!

cowgirl said...

Thank you Shinerbock!!
I've sure been getting a lot of requests for one. If I get one together I'll post it here on my blog.
BTW, your name makes me thirsty. lol I'm a shiner fan. :)

Thank you. :)

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

LOL now that's a sandwich for a camping trip! great post, and work on that book...

But make it more of a lifestyle book (Like your patience to grow your own crawfish). I love those kinds of stories, and is what I look for when I come to your blog

Great post

cowgirl said...

lol Thanks! I need to stop making sandwiches bigger than my head. lol

I've been told that same thing... write about my lifestyle too. It's amazing to me that anyone is interested. lol :)

Thank you A Year on the Grill!! :)

creaky old fart said...

Jeannie--

This bread is so good we make it 2 or 3 times a month! Sometimes in the drum, sometimes just the oven. I usually add chunks of cheese to it (I picked that up from somebody on TheQJoint). Thanks for posting the recipe!

Out of curiosity, do you find that the density of the bread changes with the beer used?

cowgirl said...

I've not noticed a difference in density but I usually use a fairly light beer. The darker ales might make a difference.
Thanks Creaky.