Search Feature

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Pasta Salad and Cowgirl Caviar

Thanks to Chez for the inspiration!!
After reading Chez's blog about pasta salad and cold fried chicken, I couldn't resist...it looked and sounded so good!

If you get the chance, check out Chez's blog. "Fat Johnny's Front Porch". He's one heck of a talented fellow!

http://chez-frontporch.blogspot.com/



I headed to the garden to see what I could use...








Added my fresh veggies to some cooked pasta. Drizzled the mix with a vinegar/oil dressing and popped it into the fridge to chill.



Then I decided to make some "Cowgirl Caviar".
To 3 cups of cooked black eyed peas, I add
minced onion
minced garlic
minced jalapeno
A dressing of
3/4 cups of oil
1/4 cup of rice vinegar
salt and pepper to taste




Place everything in a quart jar and give it a shake...






I can tell this is going to be a good batch... see the little smiley face in the center? lol I have no idea why that pea is smiling at me but...
Into the fridge to chill at least overnight.









The Black eyed pea dish is sometimes called "Texas Caviar".
Having friends from both Texas and Oklahoma here at the same time, there is usually a discussion about the name of the dish.
I've called the dish " Cowboy Caviar" to avoid the "Texas" debate.... but that raises issues too.
Now I just call them "Cowgirl Caviar".

So far no one has challenged my decision. lol :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A smiling black eyed pea.....only for you Cowchick!!

cowgirl said...

Thank you DINGLE! :)

I do enjoy life and try to look at the bright side of things..... but this has got to be my first smiling black eyed pea. lol

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

I see the smiling pea Jeanie. I think he's just happy to be put to good use maybe. I can't really see him being happy about getting put into the fridge to chill overnight. Maybe his attitude will change soon. You tell me if he is still smiling in the morning will ya Jeanie?

Chez said...

cowgirl, now i know why mah ears was burnin' when i woke up this morning ~ thanks for the props, cher. your fresh garden veggies/pasta salad looked great ~ especially them beautiful zucchini blossoms. be well.

cowgirl said...

Hi Mark,
I just checked my jar...he's still smiling. :)
Not sure if I can eat him now! lol

Maybe I'll set him free. lol
(geesh, I'm a softy)

cowgirl said...

Shoot, you're sure welcome Chez. Thank you for the inspiration!
I had some of the salad for supper last night, it was perfect....nice way to keep cool in this heat.

Take care!

Chris said...

Ohhhhhh I haven't had "redneck caviar" (that's what they called it in Florida growing up) in forever!!!!!

I can't wait to make some.

cowgirl said...

Redneck Caviar! Great name Chris...thank you! :)