Search Feature

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Spicy Chaurice Sausage

I made this batch for my deer hunting friends...vast quantities of finger food and beer are always consumed at deer camp....aka my house. :)

I started with 5lbs of ground pork...added one medium chopped onion and 4 cloves of minced garlic.



Mixed the spices in with one cup of beer

...2 TBs kosher salt

2 tsps dry thyme

1 tsp red pepper flakes

1 TBs cayenne

2 TBs dried parsley

1 bay leaf crushed





I made a slurry by mixing the spices into the cup of beer...
Mixed the slurry into the ground pork and let it chill overnight.



You can stuff the sausage into casings. I chose to make 2" balls. I smoked them with a bit of hickory at 225 degrees for about 2 hours...










The spicy chaurice balls were very tasty...they went well with my japapeno pickled eggs and cold beer. :)



I also use this chaurice sausage for scotch eggs...http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/11/scotch-eggs.html

6 comments:

Mark said...

As a huge fan of chorizo, from which this apparently derived, I can't wait to try it! Great pix.

cowgirl said...

Thanks MGwerks!
Hope you give it a try. :)

Anonymous said...

That looks really, really yummy. Every time I read your blog I end up hungry.

Portuguese chorizo contains smoked paprika - I live close to Little Portugal in Toronto, there are some really good butchers in the area. I buy the paprika from the spice store, but with your talent in smoking you might well be able to make your own. :)

Oh, and would you be prepared to share your recipe for the pickled eggs? That's something I've been wanting to do for some time now.

cowgirl said...

Hi Andy! Thank you! :)
I hope you give the chaurice recipe a try..it's pretty tasty.

Here is one of my favorite sites for sausage recipes...
http://web.archive.org/web/20010214020112/http:/home.att.net/~g.m.fowler/frame/Sausage1.htm

It has several chaurice recipes and also several chorizo recipes.

Sounds like you have a great source for smoked paprika AND good fresh meat..that is great!!
I DO smoke paprika in my smokehouse. I like to cold smoke it for about 6 hours. I do not smoke the paprika peppers, (but I would if I had them) just paprika.


I would be happy to share the pickled egg recipe, it is a tasty one using juice from canned jalapenos. :)

Good to see ya Andy and thanks again! :)

Anonymous said...

and the Vodka was for....?

cowgirl said...

lol...Anonymous, it was for anyone who wanted a bloody mary with their finger food. :)