Search Feature

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Spicy Chaurice Sausage

I made this batch for my deer hunting friends...vast quantities of finger food and beer are always consumed at deer camp....aka my house. :)

I started with 5lbs of ground pork...added one medium chopped onion and 4 cloves of minced garlic.

Mixed the spices in with one cup of beer

...2 TBs kosher salt

2 tsps dry thyme

1 tsp red pepper flakes

1 TBs cayenne

2 TBs dried parsley

1 bay leaf crushed

I made a slurry by mixing the spices into the cup of beer...
Mixed the slurry into the ground pork and let it chill overnight.

You can stuff the sausage into casings. I chose to make 2" balls. I smoked them with a bit of hickory at 225 degrees for about 2 hours...

The spicy chaurice balls were very tasty...they went well with my japapeno pickled eggs and cold beer. :)

I also use this chaurice sausage for scotch eggs...


MGwerks said...

As a huge fan of chorizo, from which this apparently derived, I can't wait to try it! Great pix.

cowgirl said...

Thanks MGwerks!
Hope you give it a try. :)

Andy said...

That looks really, really yummy. Every time I read your blog I end up hungry.

Portuguese chorizo contains smoked paprika - I live close to Little Portugal in Toronto, there are some really good butchers in the area. I buy the paprika from the spice store, but with your talent in smoking you might well be able to make your own. :)

Oh, and would you be prepared to share your recipe for the pickled eggs? That's something I've been wanting to do for some time now.

cowgirl said...

Hi Andy! Thank you! :)
I hope you give the chaurice recipe a's pretty tasty.

Here is one of my favorite sites for sausage recipes...

It has several chaurice recipes and also several chorizo recipes.

Sounds like you have a great source for smoked paprika AND good fresh meat..that is great!!
I DO smoke paprika in my smokehouse. I like to cold smoke it for about 6 hours. I do not smoke the paprika peppers, (but I would if I had them) just paprika.

I would be happy to share the pickled egg recipe, it is a tasty one using juice from canned jalapenos. :)

Good to see ya Andy and thanks again! :)

Anonymous said...

and the Vodka was for....?

cowgirl said...

lol...Anonymous, it was for anyone who wanted a bloody mary with their finger food. :)