Search Feature

Friday, January 23, 2009

Anasazi Beans with Jalapeno Bacon

I love pinto beans and anasazi beans are a close second. :)
They are a bit sweeter than a pinto and do not take as long to cook.





I washed them.....then soaked the anasazi beans in water overnight....




I fried up a few slices of my homemade jalapeno bacon....

The jalapeno bacon post.... http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/12/making-bacon-part-3-cold-smoking.html



Sauteed some onion, and garlic in the bacon drippings....
I did not use peppers, the jalapeno bacon flavor was just right.....



I added the sauteed veggies to the pot of beans....



Covered the beans with chicken broth....
Added a pinch of thyme, oregano, basil and a few red pepper flakes....



After simmering the beans until tender, I added kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste.
Then served the anasazi beans with a hot fresh tortilla slathered with butter. :)



They are pretty tasty beans!! :)









6 comments:

Ulla said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
cowgirl said...

Thank you Ulla!
They are pretty tasty beans. :)

Unknown said...

They do look very yummy.

cowgirl said...

Thank you Bryan! They are some of my favorites. :)

Dave~ said...

These look yummy! They look very similar to black eyed peas. Is that about what they taste like too? I love beans of all kinds. Lima beans with ham is probably my favorite though. Hope you're having a good week!

Dave~

cowgirl said...

Thank you Dave! They taste more like a pinto than a black eyed pea. They are a tiny bit sweeter than a pinto and cook up faster. I really like em. :)
Haven't had limas and ham for ages... sounds really good!
Thanks Dave. :)