Search Feature

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Pizza on the Drum

I usually grill pizzas but wanted to give the drum a try. I heated it up to 325 degrees and used a bit of olive wood.






Made a batch of dough for each pizza.

1 cup of warm water

1 pkg of yeast

2 TBS oil

1 tsp sugar

1 tsp salt

and 2 1/2 cups of flour



I topped the first one with pizza sauce, pre-cooked pepperoni and black olives. I added the cheese during the last 10 minutes of the smoke.

The second one was brushed with olive oil, topped with caramelized onions, garlic, browned hot sausage, kosher salt, cracked black pepper, red pepper flakes, thyme, oregano, basil and cheese...



The third one was a dessert pizza. I brushed the dough with melted butter, then topped with pineapple and a mixture of turbinado sugar and cinnamon....




The pepperoni/black olive....



The crust was nice and crisp....




The hot sausage/caramelized onion.....



I made the crust thicker on this one....



The turbinado sugar/cinnamon/pineapple pizza.....



With ice cream, chocolate syrup and whipped cream....




They were all tasty. The drum worked great, my only problem was space. I could only smoke one at a time.
I'll be making them again though. :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

O yeah!

cowgirl said...

:) Thanks Anonymous!

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Ya know, if you ever need an official taste tester, you know where to find me hey? I think I would be perfect for the job, and I would'nt even charge ya anything. The pizzas are lookin good Jeanie.

Rothe Homestead Farm said...

Wow, Jeanie, those look alot better than the pizza I had last night!! I have to build a drum yet.....if I ever get a chance. Great pizzas!!!


grothe

cowgirl said...

Heck Mark, you work pretty cheap! I wouldn't even have to pay ya huh? Sounds like a good deal to me! lol

Thanks. :)

cowgirl said...

Thanks Gene! You do need to build a drum cooker, I sure seem to use mine a lot. They are so easy to use and you don't have to keep a close eye on them like a wood smoker.

Mrs. JP said...

wow,,,sounds good. I love pizza,,especially dessert pizza. Where do you get olive wood?
Have a happy 4th!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Mrs JP!
I got the olive wood at a sporting goods store called the Academy in OK City.
It's a really mild wood but I like it. :)
Hope you have a great 4th too!

Max said...

Hey Cowgirl,

It's Max again...I finished my drum (minus the paint) but unfortunately cannot post up pics due to the misplacement of a camera cord. Onto the question...How long did you smoke the pizzas for? I could probably eye it but I like to have a ballpark figure. Thanks again for all the help!

Max

cowgirl said...

Hi Max,
Glad to hear you have your drum going! :)

The pizzas took between 30 to 45 minutes. I hand rolled the crust out so they weren't all the same thickness....
The pepperoni one was pretty thin so it took about 30 minutes.

I used the poke method to see if the dough was cooked through.

Not very scientific, but it works for me. lol

Hope they turn out well for you Max. :)

Max said...

Max again,

Last question...Im not that experienced in making dough...I bought quick rise active yeast...do I let the dough rise for an amount of time before using? I know you do for bread but specifically for pizza dough?

Thanks again!!!

cowgirl said...

Hi Max!
I cover the dough and let it sit for about 5 minutes while I make up my pizza sauce. It doesn't need to sit as long as bread dough.

Good luck with your pizza! :)