Search Feature

Friday, March 27, 2009

Venison Backstrap Canadian Bacon with Wild Onions and Morels

This is part of the backstrap from the doe I got this fall...





I cleaned the backstrap and butterflied the meat to lay flat...


The cure mix consisted of

1 TBS of Tender Quick (per pound of meat)

1 tsp of sugar (per pound of meat)

1 dried cayenne pepper

1 TBS black pepper corns

1 TBS juniper berries

1 clove of garlic... minced.




I crushed the cayenne, juniper berries and black pepper corns, then mixed them with the tenderquick/sugar mixture and added the minced garlic.

Rubbed the mixture into the backstrap covering all edges, and picked the meat up and gave it a shake to get rid of any excess cure.

I wrapped the slab in plastic wrap and let it cure in the fridge for 3 days.

After curing, I rinsed the cure off of the meat under the faucet....then soaked the backstrap in fresh cool water for an hour


The wild onions are sprouting so I picked a few bunches to add a bit of flavor to the bacon. (I love wild onions. :))



I soaked a few of my dried morels in fresh water...

Layed the wild onions and morel mushrooms across the backstrap...





Rolled and tied...then onto my smoker with a bit of hickory...

added a few potatoes and an onion for another project. lol


Smoked til the bacon reached an internal temperature of 150, wrapped in foil and let it rest.


Things happen here on the farm and I didn't get the chance to try my bacon right away. lol

When I was able to get back to it, the smoked potatoes were cold, so I sliced and fried them in some butter, baked a few cheese/herb biscuits and fried a couple of fresh eggs to go with the bacon...

It was tasty and worth waiting for. :)



The wild onion and morel stuffed venison canadian bacon. :)




14 comments:

Mike said...

That looks very good! The stuffing is a great idea.

Ken said...

Good gravy woman, you are the busiest little thing I have ever seen. Once again those look awesome.

We need smell-vision real bad

Good work.

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Delicious! I've never heard of wild onions before.
I bough a small Sirloin roast yesterday. I'll smoke it this weekend.

cowgirl said...

Thanks Mike!
It's easy to dry out venison and I was afraid this might be dry without bacon on top..but it came out great!
I think the morels and wild onions added a bit of moisture to the meat. Could have just been the cure.
It was tasty!

cowgirl said...

Ken, you are too sweet! :)
I have been keeping busy the last couple of days.
Thought I'd post this recipe while I have electricity. lol

Good to see ya!

cowgirl said...

Thank you YD!
The wild onions are pretty tasty, I like them in just about anything. lol

Good luck with your sirloin roast, that sounds good!!

Mark said...

You never fail to make my stomach grumble, even if I just ate. Well done!

cowgirl said...

Thank you Mark! The venison bacon was pretty tasty. Hope you give it a try sometime. :)

HorsesintheSouth said...

This is real tough to read all of the delicious recipies from someone who live in North Florida & has no access to this kind of wild game which is my favorite food to eat! Everything you make sounds really good. Yum, yum, yum...

Teri

cowgirl said...

Thank you so much Teri! Hope you find a source for some venison, it's one of my favorites too. :)

Mark said...

Thanks for the great recipe - the family really enjoyed it this weekend. Couldn't track down any juniper berries in time, but substituted equal parts of bay leaves and caraway seeds, with a splash of gin, and it turned out fine!

supply of venison is getting thin this time of year, but fortunately, bow season starts in a few more months here in michigan. and with some good fortune in new mexico this year, there may be some elk on the menu...

cowgirl said...

Mark, I'm so glad to hear you liked it! I'm getting pretty fond of cured venison. :)
Your version of using bay leaves, caraway and gin sounds wonderful. I will give that a try. thanks!!

Hope you are able to get your limit of deer and elk this year. That would be great to get an elk, I've never been elk hunting, but I bet I'd love it!
The deer are thick around my place right now, but I know they will be gone when hunting season gets here. lol

Thanks for the post Mark, glad to hear it worked out well for you. :)

Cecelia (CC) said...

Just found your blog. Just put 60 lbs of venison in my freezer. Just found a way to make budget and feed two kids. Thanks for this resource! I will need every diea here and more to feed venison all winter.

cowgirl said...

Cecelia that's great! Good luck with the venison. :)