Search Feature

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Lambsquarter

One of my favorite things about spring, the wild lambsquarter. :)
I have several nice patches of lambsquarter growing around the farm. During the spring the tender young plants are the best...they are so tasty!




I pick the young tender plants...


Then take them into my kitchen to sort and wash.....



I fried up some of my homemade pepper bacon...



Gathered a few wild onions....





I sauteed the wild onions in the bacon drippings and a bit of butter...


Added my tender young lambsquarter......


Cooked in my cast iron skillet until just tender, then topped with crispy bacon...




The lambsquarter with a cured, smoked hunka homegrown pork. It's a nice spring time meal. :)

6 comments:

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

That is simply amazing Jeanie. I've never had lambs quarter, but it sure looks good, and so does that big hunka pork.

cowgirl said...

Thank you Mark! If there were any way I could send a batch up to ya I would. It's pretty tasty stuff. :)
The hunka pork wasn't too bad either, but I didn't cook over a fire it on a stick. Maybe I should try it next time. lol

Duane & Patricia said...

I love your site. And I love lambsquarters too! Handsome dude and I started investigating wild foods a couple of years ago. We use the quarters in place of spinach. But that looks like a great breakfast, lunch, or dinner! I am going to build your smoker too. I've got a great pastured pork belly and ham in the freezer waiting on me. Miss that part of the country.

cowgirl said...

Thank you so much Patricia and Duane!
I enjoy eating off of the land and eating "in season". There is so much food growing right around us, sometimes folks forget to check their back yards before going to the store. :)

Good luck with your pork and ham, I'm sure they will be tasty!

teegee said...

Im pretty sure that is in my yard right now!!! Whats it taste like?

Also I love the pics of the land and pastures. I wish I had something like that to go to everyday. Lucky girl.

cowgirl said...

Thank you Tara!
The lambsquarter tastes a bit like spinach. It's a mild green but you have to use the young tender plants. The older or bigger plants get bitter.