Search Feature

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Spare Ribs, Pintos and Jalapeno Cornbread

I trimmed a slab of spare ribs, brushed them with bacon drippings and sprinkled them with a bit of my homemade smoked seasoned salt....



Fired up my drum and added some hickory...


After smoking for about 1 1/2 hours (this was a small rack of ribs)... I foiled the ribs with a mixture of beer, dales marinade and a bit of cayenne...


I let the foiled ribs smoke for another 1 1/2 hours. I also added a pan of scalloped potatoes...


Then I removed the ribs from the foil and smoked for another hour....until tender...




The smoked scalloped potatoes and rib trimmings....






The ribs were flavorful enough without adding sauce. I like my sauce on the side....

The next day.....

I made a batch of pinto beans. I sort, then soak the dried pintos in cool water overnight, drain and add fresh water to cover.
Let them simmer on low all day..
To this batch I added the smoked rib trimmings, onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, 1 bay leaf, and a couple pinches of oregano and thyme, kosher salt and cracked black pepper.......
I add the salt after the beans have become tender.


I made a skillet of jalapeno cornbread to go with the beans.
The cornbread recipe...
1 1/4 cups of flour
3/4 cup of yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup of sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup of milk
1 egg
1/4 cup of oil
I like to heat the oil in my cast iron skillet in the oven...at a temperature of 400 degrees.
Mix the dry ingredients then add the milk and egg.
To this I add about 1 cup of cooked corn,
minced onion
and at least one chopped jalapeno
Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is light golden.



I love pintos and jalapeno cornbread. The smoked rib trimmings added just the right touch of smoky flavor I wanted. :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cowgirl, How much onion, garlic and red pepper flake do you use? I'm assuming that's a 5 quart pot?

cowgirl said...

Hi Anonymous,
Yes it is a 5 Qt pot. I use about 2 cloves of minced garlic, 1/2 of a medium yellow onion (chopped) and about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of dried red pepper flakes.

You can add more or less of any of these to suit your taste. I do not add the salt until the beans are tender..
Hope this helps... Sorry I didn't think to add that in my post! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks!

cowgirl said...

You're sure welcome. :)

Anonymous said...

Girl you know I LOVE a nice rack! (of ribs). The taters and beans look delicious too. All done on that PDS.(Purty Drum Smoker) Nice looking meal, thanks for sharing.
I've been missing you lately, haven't had a lot of time for chat. Take care and I'll TTY soon.

SG

cowgirl said...

Thanks SG!
Hope you are doing well. Things have been busy for me too. Maybe life will slow down when winter hits. :)
Take care

saltbranch said...

CG, have you ever tried lining the bottom of the cornbread pan with thin sliced bacon? pour cornbread batter in on an top and cook as normal........adds a new twist.
I definetly will be trying the Pinto beans,,,sounds great.

cowgirl said...

Saltbranch that sounds wonderful! I will definately give the bacon a try.
Thanks so much! :)