Search Feature

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Cold Smoking and Canning Salmon

Been waiting for cooler weather to cold smoke some salmon in the smokehouse.



Came across a good deal at the local store for some salmon sides and have had them saved til the temps dropped a bit.






I mixed up 3 parts brown sugar to 1 part canning salt...




scored the salmon and rubbed the mixture on both meat and skin sides then into the cuts....




wrapped and let them cure overnight in the fridge..




rinsed and let the salmon dry a bit until "tacky" to the touch...




loaded them into the smokehouse...



some of the sides were heavy, I had better luck hanging them over the dowel and running a skewer through both sides...








Kept an eye on the temperature, wanted to make sure it stayed at 80 degrees or below...
Used a mixture of alder, apple and cherry woods.
Canning intensifies the smoke flavor so I only smoked these for 2 hours.

Just a "kiss" of smoke...not a billowing cloud...









After the 2 hour smoke...



This is not the same as Lox or the cold smoked salmon that you eat. It would need to smoke for a lot longer to be at that stage.



removed the smoked meat from the skin with a filet knife...




filled hot sterilized canning jars with the cubed smoked salmon...leaving head space.






added a sliver of onion and one teaspoon of veggie oil to each 1/2 pint jar to add moisture....








wiped the rims of the jars and placed hot lid on each...




ready for the pressure canner...




my pressure canner will hold 24 1/2 pints at a time if I stagger them...




for my altitude, I processed at 12 lbs of pressure for 100 minutes. Processing times and pressures are not all the same, be sure to check your pressure canner instructions.


the hot canned salmon ready to cool....




I space the jars a bit and let them sit on the counter to cool at room temperature.









 I checked the seals to make sure all had sealed correctly, let the jars cool down overnight on the kitchen counter.

Couldn't wait to taste it!

Made a batch of smoked salmon spread using  cream cheese, minced garlic, minced scallions, granulated garlic, onion powder, squeeze of lemon juice and a dash of cayenne pepper...






As I was nibbling on my cracker I was thinking... hmmm a lot of work for this little cracker.. but totally worth it! lol




I'm set for winter now! :)

14 comments:

Rich said...

Looks like fun, CG! How long will the salmon keep stored at room temperature? What are some other uses for canned smoked salmon?

I'm finally jumping into the deep end of smoking and am taking a brisket class in January. Hopefully the wife will let me get a good smoker and start experimenting with some of your recipes.

The smoker with the window is a great idea - especially for your fans. What a great idea!

Keep up the good work!

Paul said...

Yum yum Jeanie, That's real cool, I've never canned anything.
P.S. Is it safe to say that you won't be giving out candy to the trick or treaters? :)

LindaG said...

Awesome.
Sure makes me hungry.
Thanks for sharing this with us! :o)

L8nighter said...

you blow me away. Can I paypal you to ship me one of them jars??

cowgirl said...

Hey Rich! Good to see ya. :)
The salmon should keep for a few years. I try to use my home canned goods up in one to two years. The salmon is good in pasta or on salads or on toasted bagels with cream cheese... I made some little snack sandwiches by rolling the salmon, scallions and cheese with herbs up in croissant dough and baking them. They were pretty tasty.
Still thinking of other uses. :)

Great to hear about your brisket class!! That sounds like fun. Keep me posted on how it goes. :)

Hope Richie still enjoys cooking. He's got a good start with it!

Thanks for stopping by Rich, good to see ya.

cowgirl said...

Thanks Paul! Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Haven't seen you post any cooks lately.
lol I can't remember the last time I saw a trick or treater.
Good to see ya!

cowgirl said...

Linda, thank you! I was just checking out your blog. Hope you all are doing well and enjoying the new home.
Good to see you too. :)

cowgirl said...

L8nighter...Thanks!
I can't/won't sell home canned stuff but shoot me an email.
Thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

WOW - that is so impressive!
I have never seen how to can fish, and I am tempted, to copycat . . .

Thank you

Rolf

cowgirl said...

Thank you Rolf! Hope you have a safe trip to the Market! Hope you take pics too. :)

David said...

That cold smoker was a huge inspiration for the small one I built. And this idea... WHile I dfo a longer cure & smoke so it is more lox-like - this is a wonderful idea. I bet it would be lovely on pasta with a little cream!

cowgirl said...

Hi David! I remember when you built yours. :)
You must be reading my thoughts.. lol I had pasta in mind while canning this. Hope you have a great week, thanks! :)

Unknown said...

Is there any reason that freshwater rainbow or brown trout could not be smoked and then canned for salmon patties or balls?

cowgirl said...

Hi Arlen, I've not tried them but I bet they would work fine. Probably need to be cold smoked before canning instead of hot smoking. Good luck with them if you give it a try.
Thanks for stopping by!