Search Feature

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Jalapeno Bacon and Smoky Corncakes

I fried up a bit of my homemade japapeno bacon and made a few corncakes using the extra corn I smoked with my beef ribs.

The bacon post... http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/12/making-bacon-part-3-cold-smoking.html
The smoked corn post.... http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2009/01/smoked-beef-ribs-and-corn.html


First I cut the smoked corn off the cob...



Fried a few slices of jalapeno bacon...


Mixed up my corncake batter and added the smoked corn...

For the corncakes,

I use...1 cup of flour

1/4 cup of cornmeal

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp of salt

1 tsp of sugar

1 egg

About 1 cup of milk or more if needed for a thinner batter

1 cup of corn. Leftover grilled or smoked corn works great

Chopped green onion




Fried the corncakes in the jalapeno bacon drippings......


The jalapeno bacon, smoky corncakes, grits and fruit....


They were both pretty tasty. The jalapeno bacon has a light bite to it but it's not too spicy to eat. Just the way I like it. :)

6 comments:

Mark said...

Woman, I'm kinda glad I don't live there. I'd end up weighing 400 lbs! Another tasty tease....

cowgirl said...

lol Mark!
Chasing cattle will keep the weight off. lol

Thanks. :)

Anonymous said...

"How do you like your grits? Regular, creamy or Al Dente?" lol... good movie. Never did acquire a taste for grits, guess it's a good thing I live up north where you can't even find them. The rest looks excellent, as usual, though!

cowgirl said...

:) Mike! I grew up on grits.
When I was a kid, I put so much sugar on top, I couldn't taste them.



Thanks :)

Deb said...

Cowgirl,

Wow, I just started making my own bacon and that jalapeno bacon looks like something I might have to try. In fact the whole meal looks great.

deb

cowgirl said...

Thank you Deb!

Hope you have great luck with your bacon! :)