Search Feature

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

For Bacon Lovers

If you like bacon, you might want to give this bacon brittle a try. It's sweet and salty at the same time. I have made it with pecans and without.
I like leaving the pecans out and using a bit more bacon. :)


This makes about one pound.

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2-3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1 cup cooked bacon bits (about 12 ounces uncooked bacon)

Grease or butter a large nonstick baking sheet.

Fry your bacon until crispy...




Crumble the bacon....


In a medium heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves and the syrup comes to a boil.


Attach a candy thermometer to the pan, increase the heat to high, and cook, without stirring, until the mixture reaches 290 degrees. Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter, vanilla, baking soda, salt pecans and bacon bits. The mixture will foam.


When it stops foaming, pour the hot mixture onto the prepared baking sheet as thinly as possible. Use a silicone spatula or a buttered spatula to spread.

Cool at least 10 minutes before breaking into pieces. Store in a covered container.





8 comments:

teegee said...

Ummmm, yesss! I LOVE bacon! I just made bacon and chocolate chip cokies about 2 weeks ago. You go!

cowgirl said...

Thanks tara! It's pretty good stuff if you like sweet and salty combined. :)

JunkerJunk said...

What timing! I just recently got into making brittles recently, and made a peanut brittle recently and a cashew brittle last week. I HAVE to try this, it sounds wonderful.

Thanks!
Marty

junkerjunk.blogspot.com

cowgirl said...

Thanks Marty, Hope you give it a try.
I liked the brittle with more bacon and I left the pecans out.

I guess I'm just more fond of the salty/sweet combination of the added bacon.
lol

Good luck with it!!

Mike said...

Hey Jeanie, just wanted to let you know I tried this recipe last night. Didn't quite turn out as good as yours but good enough. I posted it on my blog: http://lifeinpitrow.blogspot.com/2011/11/bacon-brittle.html

Thanks for another great idea to try!

cowgirl said...

Hey Mike! Glad you tried it...sorry it didn't turn out for you. Hope you give it another try sometime. :)
Thanks!!

Mark "Buzz" Knight said...

I just did a link to your blog from my Facebook page. I think all my bacon-lovin' friends would LOVE this recipe! [Besides, I'm too honest to steal the recipe and try to claim it as my own.] I come to your blog a LOT for ideas and inspiration for my own cooking...so I've bookmarked your blog site!

cowgirl said...

Mark thanks! :)
Hope the bacon brittle works out well for you and your bacon lovin' friends. :D
At the top of my page on the right...under favorites... there should be a post about Hickory smoked bacon wrapped bacon. It's really, really good stuff. lol
Thanks so much for checking out my blog and for taking the time to comment. It's nice to meet ya. :)