Search Feature

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Beef Ribs n Beans on the Fire

Another campfire meal.....
I soaked some pinto and anasazi beans overnight, then placed them on the fire in the morning while cooking breakfast.

I seasoned the beans with onions, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, 2 bay leaves, thyme, oregano, basil, onions and a smoked ham hock. Then let them simmer over the fire all day....




Added beef ribs rubbed with oil and seasoned with cracked black pepper and kosher salt...



I let the ribs roast over the low heat side of the campfire....








After about an hour, I decided to foil one rack. I topped it with onions and added beef broth to the foil pack...











I placed the foiled ribs back on the low heat side of the fire.



I wanted to see how much difference there would be between the foiled and unfoiled rib racks.



After almost 2 hours on low heat, I unwrapped the foiled ribs...the pull back on the bone was significant.



I placed the unwrapped rib rack back on the heat to "crisp" up a bit while I made my pan of jalapeno cornbread...



Placed hot coals on the lid for even cooking......



Seasoned the tender beans with salt, pepper and a sprinkle of minced green onions.....

Also removed the meat from the ham hock bone and added it to the pot...


The finished ribs, beans and cornbread...




The ribs, beans, jalapeno cornbread with cucumbers and fresh tomatoes from my garden.

I tried one rib of each kind.

The foiled rib was very tender, fall off the bone tender.

The unfoiled rib had more of a fire roasted flavor and more "pull" to the meat.

I liked both of them. :)



The anasazi and pinto beans with jalapeno cornbread were Mmmmmmm.... :)

12 comments:

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Hey Jeanie, lookin pretty good as usual. I would'nt even have a problem deciding which ones to eat. I'd just go for it all.

cowgirl said...

Thanks Mark! :)
I had to try one kind of each rib too. Just to see which tasted better.
I love beef slow roasted over an open fire. There is just something about the flavor.
Hey.... ribs almost qualify as meat on a stick. lol

Rothe Homestead Farm said...

Mmmmm, beef ribs...my favorite. Great lookin meal cowgirl!!! Got me droolin for some Que!

Gene

cowgirl said...

Hey Gene, Thanks!
I think beef ribs are my favorite too. :)
Hope everything is going well for you. Have you finished the tobacco harvest?

Rothe Homestead Farm said...

Ahhh....NO...lol! I think we're about half done (hoping anyways)!
Funny thing is....this time of year the day light gets shorter, but the work days seem to get longer....shoot, I wake up tired LOL!!! Think I might have to go camping soon!


Gene

cowgirl said...

Sounds like you do need a camping trip Gene! Hope the weather is cooperating with ya.
Shoot, If I lived closer, I'd help with the tobacco harvest as long as I didn't have to touch a tomato horn worm. lol

Anonymous said...

Now ya did it Cowchick! I'm gonna have to get me some beef ribs. Heck, I'd eat them for breakfast!

cowgirl said...

lol Thank you Mr D!
I'd eat them for breakfast too.
They sure did smell good roasting over the fire. :)
Can you imagine deer hunting with a beef rib in one pocket and jerky in the other? lol

Chez said...

you cook better food over a campfire than most people cook in their kitchens full of fancy appliances. tru dat.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh! Need that today. Cant wait til I'm sittin in the treestand and that picture comes to mind :) You are too funny

cowgirl said...

lol Chez, that'a mighty kind of you to say. I'm probably more comfortable cooking over a fire than inside a house. lol
Thank you! :)

cowgirl said...

lol Mr D. I can picture you in a deer stand with coyotes or wolves circling below! The smell would drive them crazy. :)
Hope you have a great rest of the week!