Search Feature

Monday, May 25, 2009

Big Hunka Cured Smoked Pork

I recently cured and smoked some pork on my drum. I used a pork shoulder and cut it into several pieces.
I dusted with a mixture of tenderquick and sugar (1 TBS of TQ mixed with 1 tsp of sugar per pound of meat).





I let the meat cure for three hours, then rinsed in cool water.




I rubbed them with olive oil and seasoned with cracked black pepper....


Into my drum smoker with some hickory.




The juice dripping from the pork onto the hot coals cause small flair ups...but it smells so good! :)



The pork hunks were ready in about an hour.


The hunka cured, smoked pork with lambsquarter....



The cure makes the pork pink, juicy and tasty. :)




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeanie
Glad to hear you had a great weekend. I spent mine remodeling my daughter's room. No smoke at all :(
The pork chunks are great, a quick meal. I need to try brining mine, is there a big taste difference?

OTT :)

cowgirl said...

Sounds like you had a good weekend though OTT, Bet your daughter appreciates the work you put into her room for her. :)
The cured pork tastes great to me. Makes the meat moist and tender. It doesn't need to cure for long. I usually cure for 2 to 3 hours then rinse really good in cool water.

Hope it works out for you!!

Jeanie