Search Feature

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Turkey Pastrami on Beer Bread with a side of Hickory Smoked Onion Rings

Turkey pastrami is one of my favorites and it's so easy to make.

For the cure I used..
5 cloves of garlic minced
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/3 cup of paprika
2 TBS cracked black pepper
1 tsp of powdered ginger
1 tsp of mustard seeds
1/4 cup of kosher salt
and 1/3 cup of crushed corriander



I sprinkle the cure over the turkey breast, place it in a bowl, cover...then let it cure overnight in the fridge.



Into my drum smoker at 300 degrees with a bit of hickory...



I let the pastrami come to an internal temperature of 175 degrees then let it rest for 30 minutes.




The outer skin was so crisp and spicy...



The inside was tender and juicy.....



I split my beer bread open and start building.....



I topped the layer of turkey pastrami with provolone cheese and caramelized onions...



then some crispy pepper bacon....



also some of my spicy mustard greens from the garden. (can't believe how well they are growing right now.)




Slathered the top with salad dressing ....




Served with some hickory smoked onion rings, twangy green bean dill pickles and some spicy brown mustard....







It was pretty tasty and I didn't hear one complaint from my company. :)


7 comments:

Chris said...

Hmmmm would this be your entry for the BBQ Grail's Char Broil contest? ;) :)

Looks awesome, J!

cowgirl said...

lol Chris, can you believe it... I couldn't find a turkey under 20lbs... I had to go with this instead.

Oh well... I enjoyed eating it. lol

Thanks Chris!!

cowgirl said...

I just realized what you said. lolol
I didn't know there was a contest going on.. I'm not entering any contests..

Good luck to you if you do though!! :)

Jon in Albany said...

What did you have wrapped in bacon in the drum? Brussels sprouts maybe?

Everything looked good.

cowgirl said...

Hi Jon! It was brussel sprouts. I put a little bit of olive oil on them and some cracked black pepper and wrap them in bacon.
They are pretty tasty if you like brussel sprouts. :)

Thank you!!

FireCooker Sean said...

This looks awesome Cowgirl! We've made pastrami using corned beef, but this turkey recipe opens up so many more possibilities.

And the bacon wrapped sprouts will be making an appearance on my grill very soon. Thanks for posting!

cowgirl said...

Thank you Sean!
I love turkey pastrami and this recipe is an easy one. Hope you give it a try sometime.
If you are a hunter.. I have a good recipe for venison pastrami.

Thanks for stopping by! :)