Search Feature

Monday, August 25, 2008

Onion Bread

I like making this bread for sandwiches, but it's really good just hot out of the oven and slathered with butter. :)


This is the basic bread recipe...


1 1/4 cups of warm water

1 pkg of yeast

2 TBs oil

2 tsp sugar

1 tsp salt

3 1/2 cups of flour (more if needed)

You can stop here and just make plain bread, It also makes great sandwiches.

For onion bread I add 1/2 tsp of onion powder and some minced onions to the liquid before adding the flour. Regular minced onions work fine. In this batch I used 1 tsp of dried onion flakes..




Knead for 5 minutes...


Cover and let it rise for 1 hour..

Place dough in baking pan, I push the dough to flatten a bit, Makes a nice big, flat loaf for a sandwich. If I'm not making a sandwich with the bread, I do not flatten.
Rub with a bit of oil or butter, top with onion flakes.



Let this rise for one hour...


I smoked this bread with some beef .
In an oven you would need to bake the bread at 375 degrees for about 30 to 35 minutes.
The smoker takes longer, around 45 minutes to an hour.





Makes a tasty sandwich bread!




2 comments:

Sherry said...

Cowgirl, I just found your site while searching for Canadian Bacon smoking tips. Your description and photos were really helpful. Thanks!

I've been using our new smoker practically non-stop over the last couple weeks, but I haven't tried cooking bread on it yet. Great idea! I will definitely give this recipe a try.

Cheers, Sherry

cowgirl said...

Thank you Sherry, I hope you give it a try.
I know that not all smokers are alike. The bread might take longer or shorter depending on what you use. Just give the bread a rap to see if it sounds hollow. Then it should be baked through. :)
Good luck!!