Search Feature

Monday, September 8, 2008

Dove, Venison and Catfish Smoke

I had the chance to smoke some of the dove I've been hunting this last week. Added some venison from a little buck I got last fall and some catfish from my last camp out.

I marinaded the venison in a mixture of Dale's marinade, beer, onion, garlic and jalapenos...



The brine for the catfish consisted of water, soy sauce, brown sugar, kosher salt, onion and garlic, a bay leaf and some tabasco....


I marinated the dove breasts in some chimichurri sauce.....


Wrapped in bacon and ready for the smoker.....



I smoked with a bit of hickory.....


I love yuca over the fire.....





Lightly browned the yuca in butter along with a bit of garlic and leeks....



The meal was pretty tasty....



4 comments:

ChiefOsceola said...

Looks great! Got a mess of dove that I got at a shoot a couple of weeks back and thought they'd look great laid up on the grill of my new UDS. Having never smoked one, what do you suggest for smoker temp & internal temp?

Really diggin your blog!
Adam in Douglas, GA

cowgirl said...

Hi Adam, Thank you!
Congratulations on getting the dove too. That's great! :)
I like to either marinade the dove breasts or wrap in bacon or both.
Then I heat the drum to around 300 to 325 degrees F.
It seems like they dove benefit from a quicker cook...they don't dry out and the bacon gets crispier.
I don't take their internal temperature but watch for the bacon ot crisp up a bit.

They take about an hour.

It's great that you have a drum too. I really love mine. They are so easy to use and put out some good eats. :)

Thank you for stopping by and checking out my blog Adam, I appreciate it!

Hmmmm... now I wish it were dove season here. :)

HillBilly24 said...

What part of the yuca do you eat? Is that the root? We have yuca growing wild up here in Iowa in fact we have a cluster of them right in front of the house.

cowgirl said...

Hi HillBilly!
It's the root but these aren't the same kind of plant that grow around here. The edible ones are called cassava, they come from south america and Mexico.
The ones that grow here with the sage are used for soap and are not edible.
The grocery store here carries the edible roots. They are tasty...hope you try them sometime!