Search Feature

Friday, April 17, 2009

Switchel

This recipe belongs to an online forum friend named Abelman. It goes back to the late 1800's to the early 1900's. If you like vinegar, you might like this drink. It's very refreshing!

½ cup of molasses - optional
1 cup of sugar
½ cup of vinegar
½ tsp ginger
2 cups of hot water

Mix and chill




I mixed everything (without the molasses) in a mason jar, gave it a good shake and chilled it overnight...



The drink is refreshing! Reminds me of lemonade, but with a sweet vinegary taste. I like it! :)

Thank you for the recipe Abelman!

2 comments:

Footstepsfarm said...

My Grandmother used to make this for us when we were haying (long before bailers) you could drink it ice cold and it would not give you monkey brains.

cowgirl said...

Isn't it tasty Footstepsfarm? I love the stuff... refreshing during the hot summer months.
Thanks for stopping by! :)