Search Feature

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Cold Smoking in the Smokehouse (replenishing my stash)




When I run out of smoked salt, I know I need to fire up the smokehouse. The olives and nuts usually get used first, then the cheese and peppers. The salt and spices last the longest, so when I'm out... I know I need to get off my hind end and make more. :)

This batch of smoked goodies included..
Sea Salt
Coarse Kosher Salt
A Homemade Black Pepper, Coarse Salt, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder Blend
Anasazi Beans
A Wild Rice Blend
Turbinado Sugar
Black Olives
Mini Chocolate Chips
Two Kinds of Duck Eggs
Jalapeno Peppers
Walnuts
Butter
Mozzarella Cheese
Pepperjack Cheese
Colby Jack Cheese
Mexican Crumbling Cheese
I think that was it.

I placed the salts and pepper blend on the top rack...



Also the duck eggs and butter. Some of the eggs were shelled and some weren't.



The black olives and Mexican crumbling cheese...


I make a slit in each pepper for smoke penetration.


The mozzarella, pepper jack and colby jack cheese...




Wild rice blend in front and anasazi beans in back...




turbinado sugar....



walnuts...



chocolate chips...






I used a blend of wood smoke, started with milder woods, maple and alder. Pulled some of the items from the smoke and then switched up to a stronger smoke (hickory) for the rice, beans and salts...
The smokehouse stayed at 65F and below the whole time.

The butter, eggs and olives got a 2 hr smoke, pulled the cheese, choco chips and nuts out after 3 hrs. The beans, rice, sugar and salts went for 5 hrs.



Smoked cheese,  butter, nuts, chocolate chips, olives, jalapenos, anasazi beans and rice blend..


The smoked butter and smoked duck eggs...






smoked rice and anasazi beans...



smoked choco chips and olives...



The rice blend, anasazi beans, turbinado sugar, coarse kosher salt, salt/pepper blend and the smoked sea salt..









I'm good for awhile! :)


First thing I always make is smoked olive tapenade. I love this stuff!
Minced olives a bit of garlic, olive oil, scallions, capers, salt and pepper to taste... I think that's it.






Hot cocoa with a few smoked chips in the cup and sprinkled on top... it was soooo tasty. :)



Also made vietnamese Pho with smoked duck egg and added some slices of a smoked jalapeno...
Loved it! I am hooked on Pho anyway but the addition of the smoked duck egg sent it over the top for me.



Almost forgot... I've used the butter and smoked salt, pepper, garlic, onion seasoning on a KC strip..





The steak was cooked in my sous vide, so the addition of smoked butter and smoked salt blend was a welcome addition.


I probably should have made this into at least 2 blog posts, there are so many pics.
Right now my house smells like smoke. :/ ... but it was worth it to get my supplies replenished.

Hope everyone is having a great week!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Jeanie, you forgot to smoke your hairdryier and your carkeys . . . ;)

What a great selection of food, I never thought, you can smoke it.

I am not sure, if you noticed this: http://www.bbq-piraten.de/forum/threads/14624-Bau-eines-Smokehouse-nach-cowgirl

Greetz from germany

cowgirl said...

lol Thanks Rolf, I'll try those! :)
The only thing I've smoked and didn't like were Twinkies.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check out the build.
Hope all is well on your end of the world.
Thanks for stopping by!

Joe said...

Once again, I'm in awe of your energy. If I meet you in a dark alley, I'm stealing your soul. Just so you know.

Smoked sugar??
To use a line from an old Doonesbury cartoon...
"You is WEIRD, honey!"

I take it the shelled eggs were hardboiled already?

Amazing.

Joe

cowgirl said...

lol Thank you Joe!
If you steal my soul, you're required to take my aches and pains too! :D

Yes, the eggs were hard boiled. I left a few with the shells on to see how much smoke they would take. They were mild but still tasty. I think I'll probably shell them from now on though.
Thanks for the laugh, and thanks for stopping by Joe! :)

Oneeye said...

Great smoke! I think hard boiled eggs are the tastiest things to come out of my smoker. We just love em made into Deviled eggs!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Oneeye! Aren't the eggs tasty. I bet your deviled eggs are amazing. I need to make a batch. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Jim Dorchak said...

I need to build a smoke house here and I have been looking at your set up. It seems that it would work for me.
I need to do it soon because I have a BOAR (Castrating him Sunday) that is not performing........... if you know what I mean.....
So i need to let him rest with out his rest. His name is Boris and he is just too mean to the girls and I am frankly afraid to turn my back on him, so bacon he is.
Have you ever do this with an old Boar? I am told by a piggy buddy of mine that it takes 3 to 4 months to get the Taint out!

Over that three month period I will be calling him "Catlin"

I love all the great ideas you come up with Jeannie.

Jim

cowgirl said...

lol Jim!! That's too funny!
Yes you will need to hold Catlin for at least 2 months to get rid of the flavor. The off flavor is very unpleasant.
Keep me posted on how it goes! Thanks Jim. :)

Jim Dorchak said...

having been a cow guy all my life this pig thingey is a new adventure so the advice is well received. I did find out by the way that it only takes 2 weeks for the taint to get out of sheep.

I have a years of experience cuttin nuts but only the bovine type. So this Boris to Catlin pig thing is a new trip for me.

Thanks again.

Jim

cowgirl said...

You're sure welcome Jim, I bet the pig is going to be tasty! :)