Search Feature

Monday, February 1, 2010

Drum Bread with Kaskaskian Pepper Oil

I was forunate enough to receive a package of Kaskaskian peppers from a kind smoking friend named Ashmont. (thank you Ashmont!)





I made a pepper oil by heating the peppers and some garlic in oil , then letting it steep overnight...




Then strained the oil....




Made my dough..

1 cup warm water

1 pkg yeast

1 tsp sugar

1 tsp salt

2 TBS oil

2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour (Thanks Pete! :))

Knead and let it rest while preparing your toppings...









I smoosh the bread onto an oiled pan... then topped with olives, onion, bacon, herbs, kosher salt and cracked black pepper, red pepper flakes and some of the pepper oil...







Into my drum at 300 degrees F... you can go hotter.

I topped with some parmesan cheese for the last 10 minutes.




This took about 1 hr 15 minutes....

I drizzled the bread with more of the pepper oil.




The crust was nice and crisp...



It was tasty... I had to try it with a glass of my homemade sandhill plum wine. :)









16 comments:

Rocco said...

no corn meal in your dough?

Pete said...

Looks wonderful ! What kind of flour and how much ? That would also make a great pizza bread with some white cheddar. YUM YUM!!

cowgirl said...

No cornmeal Rocco, but I forgot to add the flour amount. lol

cowgirl said...

lol Thanks for your help Pete! I don't know why I left the flour out... I also left out the parmesan cheese.
Cheddar would be great! :)

pid said...

looks very good! do you have a post on making sandhill plum wine? i have gobs of the tastey little things here.

pid

cowgirl said...

Thank you pid, I do have the recipe for the wine posted.
It's under December posts. I need to get it moved over to the recipe section. :)
Aren't they tasty? I love the jelly too.
I haven't posted pictures of straining the wine yet.. but will post them soon.

Mrs. JP said...

Wow, that looks so delicious. What does the mysterious kaskaskian pepper taste like? Oh, and the plum wine - did it turn out good too? YUMMM

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Thats kind of an interesting speicimen there Jeanie. Alot like pizza, only different.

cowgirl said...

Thank you Mrs JP! The peppers were mild..not hot hot. :) I liked the oil drizzled on the bread.
The wine is strong but tasty. One glass is enough to turn my legs to noodles. lol

cowgirl said...

Thanks Mark!
It was pretty tasty bread. You can put pizza sauce on it and different toppings. I kind of like plain old bread and a glass of wine every once in awhile for a meal. :)

Chris said...

Ashmont is the hook up king!

I've never had magical peppers before although I did once buy some magical beans from some guy that said something about a giant bean stalk. I just ate them.

cowgirl said...

lol Chris!! You're too funny. :)
Mr and Mrs Ashmont are so thoughtful! I'm not sure how I can repay them.

Wayne said...

Ahh Haa, I found a way to avoid your food temptations... at least until lunch that is. My lovely wife fed we a hearty home made breakfast. Ta da..

The food looks great as always.

Perhaps I missed the post but I don't think we ever heard if they got your gas well up and running. I hope you havn't had to snuggle up with one of those hogs to keep warm for the last month.

Ashmont said...

I finally made it over here to see your blog. Very impressive. The use of the ARRMK peppers is awesome! Keep up the great work.....

cowgirl said...

lol Wayne, I bet your breakfast was fantastic!!
No heat yet, but I see they are working on the gas well this week. I'm bundled and there's no way I'll bring a pig in the house to keep warm. lolol
Thanks Wayne

cowgirl said...

Ash.. It's so good to see you! :)
I am enjoying the peppers and the other items you and Mrs Ash sent. Yes I did have salad for supper last night. lol The onion dressing was wonderful!
Thank you again for your kindness...
Thanks for stopping by my blog too. :)