Search Feature

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My old horizontal woodburner gets a paint job. :)

I'm not sure why, but I forgot to take a before picture!
Actually had a calm day this week, no wind.... it was a perfect time to spray the old smoker with a new coat of paint.



The old smoker is made out of pipe, the fire box is about 2' in length and the smoke chamber is about 5'. It will hold up to a 75lb pig...


I've used it so much that I know exactly how far to open the air intake to get a perfect 225, 300, 315 ect. degree smoke without using a thermometor. lol
The little table over the firebox is handy for keeping things warm or heating up pots of beans.


the adjustment lever for the inside baffle between the fire box and smoke chamber quit holding several years ago..


I use baling wire to hold it open... :)


the rain cap on the smoke stack...


By using the handle on this end, I am barely able to swivel the smoker a few inches at a time.... it is so heavy!


It takes two strong men to move the thing... so, I leave it where it is until someone with muscles helps.


I do love the smoker.. it has put out a ton of food....

16 comments:

Mrs. JP said...

We had to repaint ours a couple of years ago. It's amazing what a wire brush and fresh coat of paint can do.

Big Dude said...

I have to believe strong men would be tripping over themselves to help you move it :-). Nice job on the repainting

cowgirl said...

Mrs JP, it does make a big difference doesn't it! :)

cowgirl said...

:) Larry... Thanks!

Rocco said...

man that's one sweet smoker!
because it's so heavy you should weld two more wheels to the front that swivel, then rig a mini bike motor to it and make it self propeld!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Rocco

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

That looks like a handy little gadget Jeanie. Maybe if it was'nt so awkward to move around, it might have dissapeared a long time ago. It looks shiny and new.

cowgirl said...

Hey... good point Mark. It would take a wench truck to haul it off. :)
Thanks Mark!

Chris said...

That is one sturdy piece of smoking equipment Jeannie. You should sell these. You never cease to amaze me with your skills.

Unknown said...

I cannot believe I am saying this to you!

You slacker! What do you mean not fixing the internal baffle? For shame, for shame, for shame! (You know it is very hard to tsk-tsk you when my tongue is so deeply embedded in my cheek.)

Really Miss Jeanie, it looks like you did a wonderful job on the scrape and paint!

I would help ya move it anytime you want but my only muscles are between my ears.

Will you please tell me about the mini-smoker on the picnic table in the background of the last picture?

cowgirl said...

Thanks Chris! This one was a gift from a friend. It's still my favorite smoker.

cowgirl said...

lol Marc, I have been slacking!
The mini cooker was made by a friend to take camping. It's just a bit heavy and small though.. the tractor rim cooker is so much lighter and holds more food.

I think there is a better picture of the little grill on a pork satay post. I'll see if I can find it.

tjus77 said...

I've been trying to do mine for 2 weeks, but things keep getting in the way. I might just oil it up real good instead of painting it. Great job and a REALLY nice pit. If you need me to help move it... I work for food... he he he.

cowgirl said...

Haha.. Thanks TJ, I'd feed ya. :)
It took me awhile to get around to painting the thing. I was waiting for a calm day.
Oil might just work, hope you take pictures when you get it finished.
Thanks TJ. :)

papits said...

whats the diameter of your steel pipe on the smoker and do you have any pics of the inside, rack hole for heat etc

cowgirl said...

Hi Papits! I believe it's 20". I didn't find any pics posted here of the inlet hole from the firebox to the smoking chamber but I found a pic of the inside on a breakfast post made in March of 2010.
Not much help! lol
Sorry!