Search Feature

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

My Big Honkin' Smoked Chuck Sandwich

I made a smoked chuck sandwich the other day, smoking the chuck on my horizontal and making the bread in my drum.

I used a 12" cast iron skillet for the bread....



Smoked the chuck with some hickory... (seems to be my favorite wood)




I brushed the top of the bread with bacon drippings and sprinkled with minced onions before letting it rise in the skillet..then baked it in my drum. It took about 1 hour...
I rap the top of the bread, if it makes a hollow sound, it's ready.







Started building my sandwich...
Covered with smoked chuck...


Sauted some onions in bacon drippings then added them to the chuck.....



Layered american and provolone cheese....



I missed getting a shot of the bacon layer... my favorite!! I think the large plate of crispy bacon made me forget about my camera.....



I slathered the lid with horseradish sauce, then topped the sandwich....








It was really good.......... :)

6 comments:

Mark said...

What am I going to DO with you? Even full, your posts make me hungry...

Another great use of the smoker, Jeanie. I've never smoked bread before, but you can bet I will soon!

cowgirl said...

lol Mark, Thank you!
I wanted to give the drum a try because it seems to cook hot in the center. I just thought it would bake the bread a lot quicker than my horizontal.
It doesn't get as brown as a loaf baked in the oven, but it sure is tasty. :)

David McGuire said...

Jeanie what can I say? You just amaze me with your culinary skills. You should put out a list of stuff you don't know how to do. It would be a short list I am sure. But this "Big Chuckie Sandwich" this I just have to try. I'll have to get my wife to do the bread for me. But gee, that is a great looking tailgate item right there. You did very well.

cowgirl said...

Thank you David!
I make large sandwiches to take camping sometimes. Just wrap them in foil. They are an easy meal and they feed several people. :)

You can put any of your favorite ingredients on them. :)

Mike said...

my GOD girl, you have no idea what you're doing to me! My stomach is growling like a she-wolf separated from her cubs!

As usual that looks beyond excellent, good job!

cowgirl said...

lolol Mike, now that is funny!
Thank you. :)