Search Feature

Friday, May 28, 2010

A Breakfast Fatty on the Memphis Pro

The Memphis Pro came in handy for me this week. I assembled this fatty the night before and when I had the chance to smoke it the next day, the wind was howling.... gusts to 40mph.

There is no way I will chance lighting my horizontal wood burner in that kind of wind and the thought of standing in the wind to light coals for my drum didn't appeal to me... :)
The pro sits in a protected area of my patio, so the wind didn't effect the performance at all.

I heated the Memphis Pro and selected a cooking temperature of 375 degrees...



This is one of my favorite fatties....
I fried cubed potatoes, onions and cubed ham in butter....then added cheese.





Stuffed my fattie piston and chilled the filling...









Rolled out my sausage inside of a one gallon baggie, slit the baggie open and topped with the potato, ham filling....




made my bacon weave.....




rolled the bacon around the stuffed fattie...





into the Memphis Pro... using apple for the smoke...



the high temperature of the Pro make it possible for me to get the bacon crisp...















I topped a hot waffle with a slice of the ham, potato, onion fattie...



Added a poached egg and some creamy pepper gravy...





The combination of the waffle, smoked sausage... stuffed with ham, potatoes, onion and cheese....crispy bacon....poached egg and pepper gravy was sooooo tasty. :)


I love the Pro... it's quite a grill!

24 comments:

MichelleZ said...

That not only looks like it tastes great, it is a food work of art. I think that if my husband saw that it would be his new favorite breakfast. the weaved bacon blanket is beautiful.

Vickie said...

Oh. My. Word. Now I know why you call it a "fattie". This looks absolutely wonderful!!!

Black Label Meat said...

Good Grief!!! :) I missed breakfast and now I find this post?!?! That looks really good. I am very tempted to make one this weekend. Cheers!

gill gill said...

impressive!

Jeff said...

Oh my! This looks soo good.

cowgirl said...

Thank you Michelle! I love fatties, the fillings are endless and you can never go wrong with bacon. :)
I really liked the way the Memphis Pro made the bacon crisp.. just how I like it!

cowgirl said...

lol Vickie.. I agree! I wouldn't want to eat this very often. :)
Thanks!

cowgirl said...

lol Josiah.. if you lived closer I would have shared. Hope it turns out well for you this weekend!
Thanks!

cowgirl said...

Jeff, Thank you!! It was pretty tasty. :)

cowgirl said...

Thank you gill gill! The potato, ham, onion, cheese stuffing along with the crisp bacon really made this breakfast fattie delicious. :)

Mrs. JP said...

You should be the "pro" spokesperson!! They couldn't get better recipes than yours.

cowgirl said...

Thank you Mrs JP! You are so kind!
I'm really looking forward to seeing what the Pro can do... so far I love the way it makes stuffed pork loin, jalapeno cornbread and fatties.
I can't wait to try the grill out too.

Thank you again! :)

creaky old fart said...

Jeannie,
Why the drip pan? Did it have liquid in to begin with, or just catching the drippings?

Also, any reason this wouldn't work on a drum at that temp?

Thanks for keeping this blog up. I'm not sure how many there are of you to actually accomplish all you do... are you sure you're not triplets?

cowgirl said...

Hi Creaky!
Both on the drip pan.. I didn't want bacon and sausage drippings all over the grill. Also added some liquid and spice to the pan because I love the aroma. :)

I've smoked a lot of fatties in the drum and couldn't get the bacon as crisp as in the Pro.

I wish I had a clone at times...
Everything posted on my blog is just part of what I do or have done in the last probably 5 years.
I do like to keep busy but also enjoy my quiet time.
In fact I'm leaving Monday for a relaxing week of camping. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

pid said...

yum, your fatties always look so elegant.

pid

Chris said...

Oh my, I think you just won Breakfast of the Year with this dish, Jeannie. I am thoroughly impressed.

cowgirl said...

Thank you pid! :)

cowgirl said...

Chris, thank you! It was a tasty breakfast. :)

Smokomotive said...

I´m so impressed by your baconwaves!!!!

cowgirl said...

Thank you Chris! They are easier to make than they look. lol
:)

Anonymous said...

I believe you have a special knack for bacon weaving. . . . I can't seem to get mine as good as yours looks. But, it still eats GOOD !

Boomer from Bonita ( Bonita
Springs Fl, that is )

P.S. I need to build a fattie press, do you have any suggestions ?

cowgirl said...

Thank you Boomer! :)
The press is easy to make.
Use schedule 40 pvc (potable water grade pvc).
one tube is 2" in diameter and 8" in length.
The longer pvc is 1" in diameter and 11" in length.
I cut a disc to fit one end and glued a 1 1/4" pvc cap on the other end to fit the palm of my hand.
That's all you need. :)
Good luck with it and thanks for stopping by! :)

keith said...

That fatty with the poached egg looks absolutely ...WICKED!!!!...Great stuff...Thanks for sharing...

cowgirl said...

Thank you Keith! :)
I appreciate you stopping by too!