Search Feature

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Scotch Eggs

I made some spicy chaurice sausage for something else and had a bit left over, so I decided to make some scotch eggs.



I had two hard boiled eggs....


Covered them with the spicy chaurice....



Rolled the sausage covered eggs in seasoned bread crumbs....



Fried until golden....about 10 minutes


Drained on paper towels....


They were very tasty, I really liked the spicy, crispy fried chaurice. :)





This is the recipe for the chaurice sausage...

5lbs ground pork about 20% fat included

2 TBs kosher salt

2 tsps dry thyme

4 cloves of garlic, minced

1 tsp red pepper flakes

1 TBs cayenne

1 medium onion, chopped

2 TBs dried parsley

1 bay leaf crushed

1 cup of beer

I combine the spices and stir them into the beer...then set the slurry aside while I grind the pork. Mix the spice slurry into the meat, cover and chill overnight.

You can stuff the sausage into 32 mm casings, make patties...what ever you like.

I rolled this batch into 2" balls and smoked them with a bit of hickory.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There's a local eatery here in Denton, TX that does Scotch Eggs - they are wonderful. As soon as it warms up a bit, I'm thinking of stuffing a fattie with them and creating the smoker equivalent of Eggs Benedict - slice and add a bit of hollandaise. Hat tip to the 'Dude' on SMF for the link

cowgirl said...

Hi Acemakr, nice to see you. :)
Your idea sounds great, I bet it will taste awesome too!

Tell the Dude Thanks for sending you over here. He's a sweetie but don't tell his wife I said so.. she already hates me. lolol Just kidding!!

Thanks for stopping by Acemakr. :)