Search Feature

Monday, August 11, 2008

Hoppin John campfire style

I love cooking over an open flame, the smell of the wood smoke is wonderful. :) Hoppin john happens to be one of my favorite things to cook while camping. It's my comfort food. lol




I start by crisping a few pieces of bacon....





I add some onion, green onion, garlic, celery and a few peppers to the bacon drippings. I let them saute until just tender...






Next I add 4 cups of chicken broth,

2 bay leaves

1 smoked ham hock

some red pepper flakes or cayenne to taste and

a couple pinches of basil, oregano and thyme

Also, about 2 cups of cooked pinto beans. (blackeyed peas are usually used, I like pintos)



I let this simmer for awhile to meld the flavors...
letting the ham hock become fall apart tender..



Then I add rice leaving enough broth to make the mixture very moist...

I let this simmer until the rice has absorbed the broth..



I crumble the crisp bacon on top... season with black pepper to taste. The bacon and ham hock usually add enough salt to the dish for me, but you can add more if needed.


Add a few chopped green onions ...


It's ready to eat...


Goes well with campfire beer bread.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man that looks good!

Anonymous said...

Looks great and sounds like an easy meal outdoors. Thanks cowgirl!

BTW ... got here from a link at theqjoint.com/forum

cowgirl said...

Thank you anonymous! It's pretty tasty and also easy to make. :)
Hope you give it a try sometime.

cowgirl said...

Thank you too anonymous #2.. :)
Drop me an e-mail if ya get the time.

Anonymous said...

Okay. Here's how you "do it" when it comes to Hoppin' John. Forget all that rice stuff. Where I come from, that would be considered a felony to put in.

2 lbs dry black eyed peas (soaked overnight)
2 Texas sweet onions (whole or chopped)
2 Smoked ham hocks
1 - 2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup brown sugar
Cook forever (at least four hours)
Don't forget the cornbread.

Of course this goes with Pot likker very well. NO RICE!!! ;)

cowgirl said...

Mmmm Kenneth, that sounds wonderful!

I've not tried hoppin' john without the rice... But will definately give your recipe a try!

Thanks! :)

cowgirl

Anonymous said...

Cowgirl,

I am amazed at your well balanced cooking and lifestyle. The hoppin John looks fantastic and I will try it over a good ol' american deadwood for this spring.

Thanks for sharing- you have enriched my life!

cowgirl said...

Thank you Anonymous! That's very kind of you to say.
I do enjoy the outdoors..
Hope your hoppin john turns out well for you. I made some on new years day and liked it but there is something about the flavor you get over a wood fire that I really love. Bet your batch will be tasty over some american deadwood!
Thanks for stopping by and thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it Anonymous. :)