Search Feature

Monday, May 6, 2013

A Candlelight Dinner



Not the romantic kind of dinner.  The electricity was out for 2 days and I cooked in the dark. lol

Snow hit the area a couple of times in the last few weeks. One storm iced things over before snowing, thus knocking the electric lines down in many places. I still wish I had a wood burning stove but the burners on the range kept the house warm enough.

I decided to make a batch of chicken and noodles to warm me up.



 I made egg noodles,
blend
2 cups of flour
1 tsp of salt
add
3 egg yolks
1 whole egg
then add
1/3 to 1/2 cup of water
bring to a ball, knead a few minutes.






divide the dough into fourths...
roll out each piece as thick as you like.




I always wrap the dough around the pin, remove the pin then slice the dough...







then I shake out the noodles, hang and let the dry for 2 hours...





Grabbed a jar of my homegrown, canned chicken and stock...
The jar looks strange but I have it figured out where 1/2 of a jar of chicken meat and filling the rest of the jar with the stock works out perfect for me.



I heated the chicken and stock on the stove...



after 2 hours of drying I broke the noodles into smaller lengths...




I cooked the noodles in boiling salted water until as tender as I wanted... drained and added the noodles to the chicken and stock



checked for salt and pepper, sprinkled with a few green onions (cause I like em :))



Curled up with my pillow and favorite fuzzy blanket and enjoyed the meal...



The noodles definitely warmed me up!



It was a nice comfort meal while being surrounded by darkness, snow and ice. lol


Crazy weather!

18 comments:

Ohiofarmgirl said...

fantastic! way to "rough it"
:-D

Rocco said...

home made noodles, yummmmmm

Jeanie living out on a farm you should really think about installing a wood burner just in case your heat goes out in the wintertime, very economical and very safe once installed properly

lisa said...

That sure looks good. I like your drying rack!

brewella deville said...

That looks like the definition of comfort food.

What do your cows do in times like these?

Old Smoke said...

Hey
I finally got time to stop by...
and you're in the dark! ;)
There is nothing like a hearty bowl of chicken and noodles to warm a body.
OH! and the Bierocks look good too!
We've had crazy weather here, also last week we were 90*+ and yesterday...rain, thunder etc. Try to stay warm and dry
See ya..;)

langela said...

This weather is crazy! We had 85 one weekend and planned our garage sale for the next Friday. We woke up that Friday to 14 inches of snow! And it was completely gone the next day. Weird.

Your soup looks delicious.

cowgirl said...

Thanks Ohio, good to see ya! :)

cowgirl said...

I agree with ya Rocco, it would be nice to have a wood burner for times like this. I do have a generator but as long as the freezer food is still frozen, I don't hook it up. I can stand a little cold and darkness. :)
Hope you have a great weekend!
Thanks...

cowgirl said...

Lisa thanks! Not sure where I got that noodle rack, it's been really handy though.
Thanks for stopping by! :)

cowgirl said...

Hey Brewella, good to see ya. :)
The cattle are in the pasture and they put their backs to the wind.
Only thing between them and Canada is barbed wire fences.
They do have a small windbreak and a pond of water. The windmill pumps with no problem.
Hope you have a great weekend! Thanks for stopping by.

cowgirl said...

Rick, sounds like you're getting crazy weather too. Hope you are able to send some extra rain this way soon. :)
Thanks!

cowgirl said...

Wow langela, that's a lot of snow!!
Makes it hard to plan outdoor activities this time of the year.
Thanks for stopping by! :)

Mrs. JP said...

wow,,,you had a snow storm? I really paid off you canning that chicken in the broth!! What a life saver. I love the pictures by candle light! Way to go.

Anonymous said...

Now this is comfort food! My first time in the kitchen was with Grandma making homemade noodles for chicken soup at age 7. This takes me back. Can't wait for it to get cold and rainy down here in North Texas so I can try this one out.

cowgirl said...

Thanks Mrs JP! Yes it snowed in May, that's a first for me here in Oklahoma. Crazy weather. :)
Hope you have a great weekend!

cowgirl said...

mmmgoblubbq, That sounds great! I bet your Grandmas chicken and noodles were wonderful!
Glad to hear this brought back good memories for you. :) Thanks!

poetcomic1 said...

Looks just like I like it except I'm partial to a little dash of saffron in the broth. Liquid gold.

cowgirl said...

Poetcomic that sounds tasty! I will give saffron a try next time. Thanks! :)