Search Feature

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Venison Canadian Bacon with Dove Breasts and Wild Sage

I love using what I can from the land around me.
This is a bit of venison from the white tail doe I harvested last winter. I cleaned the fat and silver from two small roasts...





Butterflied the roasts and then pounded them with my meat tenderizer so they would lay flat...



I mixed my canadian bacon cure....
1 TBS of Tender Quick (per pound of meat)
1 tsp of sugar (per pound of meat)
1 dried cayenne pepper
1 TBS black pepper corns
1 TBS juniper berries
1 clove of garlic... minced.




I rubbed the dry cure into the venison and let it cure (wrapped) for three days in the fridge...




I can't resist the wild sage... It smells so wonderful.


After the venison cures for three days, I rinse it with cool water then let it sit in a bowl of cold water for 2 hours to get rid of the remaining cure....
I layed my butcher string out and topped with the venison....





I decided to stuff the venison canadian bacon with some of the dove I got last fall....
I deboned the dove breasts and pounded them flat with my meat tenderizer...



I placed the dove breasts on top of the cured venison meat.....




Added a few sprigs of wild sage and some minced jalapeno for a small kick...




Rolled the venison and tied with the string, then sprinkled with cracked black pepper....



Onto my horizontal wood burning smoker with a bit of mesquite....



I pulled the venison canadian bacon off of the smoker when it reached an internal temperature of 160. Then let it rest for 20 minutes before slicing...
I usually smoke venison canadian bacon to 150 but wanted to make sure my dove breasts were ready too.



With some fresh eggs from my girls and a slice of cactus jelly toast, it was a tasty meal. :)














16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy that looks good! What a great way ta start your day....Mmmmmm!!


grothe

cowgirl said...

Thanks Gene!! :)

It was pretty tasty venison bacon.
Took me longer to post these pictures than it did to eat the breakfast. lolol

Chilebrown said...

Most awesome. I just found out that Ms. Goofy is a fan of yours also. It is a family affair.

cowgirl said...

Thank you Chilebrown!
Venison canadian bacon is a favorite of mine. I didn't have any fresh morels this time but the dove breasts were a pretty tasty substitute.
I appreciate you and Ms Goofy visiting my blog. :)

Anonymous said...

Amazing as usual Jeanie, sorry I don't get here more often.
Ronp

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

That looks pretty good Jeanie, and the eggs are done perfectly also.

cowgirl said...

Hey Ron, thanks! :)

cowgirl said...

Thank you Mark!
I like fresh eggs cooked almost any way you can think of. lol

Jen said...

Cowgirl,

That breakfast looked great! I would have never thought to make such a dish. Yum! Thanks for sharing. ~jen

Anonymous said...

Woooow!! Now thats a breakfast! I am jealous. I sit here and look at my doughnut & cup of joe, thinking of what a great meal you had. lol

;)
OTT

cowgirl said...

Thank you Jen!
Seems like I eat a lot of wild game. I like to think up new ways to prepare it. :)

cowgirl said...

lol Thanks OTT!
You need to put your donut down and go out for a big breakfast.... Head to IHOP. lol

Anonymous said...

Well Cowchick.....I sure do miss havin breakfast with you :)

DINGLE

cowgirl said...

Hey DINGLE, I miss having breakfast with you too. Those were the good days. :)
Maybe we'll have to take over one of the chat rooms and have a cyber cafe. :)
Hope all is well for you in NY.

redneckhollow said...

I have to tell you- I am PICKY...but this is the best site I have ever visited. You are a redneck genious...

cowgirl said...

Thanks Redneckhollow! I appreciate you stopping by.
Hope you have a great week! :)