Search Feature

Saturday, May 2, 2009

My New Fire Ring

My friends brought another fire ring for me, I really enjoy the tractor rim fire ring they gave to me last year for Christmas. :)
It's a wheel from an old farm implement. Maybe a swather or an old combine, but I'm not sure. It's almost 5' in diameter.





The treads are pretty interesting....




The inside of the bolt that holds the tread in place...


Looks like the metal bolt or rod was heated and then smashed out to hold the tread in place...



Most of the spokes were missing or broken, so my friends removed the stubs...

The metal was overlapped and maybe riveted together to form the wheel....



Not sure where I will place the ring, but I have a few ideas.

lol I will sit by the fire ring and wonder who made it and what implement it came from. YES I do need to get a life! lol

11 comments:

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

lol. Nice wheel Jeanie. It's almost a shame one would put a fire in that, but I guess you might as well get some use out of it as just look at it.

cowgirl said...

Thanks Mark,
I kinda feel the same way. Wonder how old it is. :)

Michael said...

I use a fire ring like this... (I have no affiliation with these folks so dont slam me for spamming.LOL)

http://www.premarc.com/products/firerings/fireringprices.php

The double walled, filled with pea gravel is awesome, it sits about 2-2.5 feet high (depending on how much you bury it)and comes in diameters up to 5.5 feet. and the outside doesnt get blazing hot, perfect for putting your feet up!

cowgirl said...

Michael, those look nice!
Thanks for the link. :)
I might be able to build one of those.....
Do you do any cooking on yours?

Renegade said...

Howdy Miss Cowgirl The wheel looks to me it came from a small steam tractor probally from around the mid 1920's Miss.

Renegade

cowgirl said...

Hi Renegade,
Thank you for the information. It could be from a tractor. It's about 5' in diameter.
I haven't decided where I'm going to put it yet.

Renegade said...

Howdy Miss Cowgirl,

I was talking with my Pa today and described the wheel and tread on it and he thinks it might be a front wheel off of an old Steam Tractor around the age I suggested in the other Post . I Hope that helps ya some Miss .

Renegade

cowgirl said...

That does help me out Renegade, Thanks so much for the information! I appreciate it. :)

Renegade said...

Howdy Miss Cowgirl,

Your Very Welcome Miss . Anything to help Miss .

Renegade

cowgirl said...

Renegade, thank your Pa for me too! :)

Renegade said...

Howdy Miss Cowgirl,

I will do that for ya Miss .

Renegade