Search Feature

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Smoked Venison Sauerbraten

I made some venison sauerbraten using a hind roast from the doe I got this fall....



For the marinade, I used

1 cup of cider vinegar

1/2 cup of oil

1 cup of red wine

about 1 tsp of lemon juice

1 tsp of whole cloves

1/4 tsp of allspice

2 cloves of garlic, minced

1 tsp of cracked black pepper

1/2 tsp of kosher salt

2 TBS of brown sugar

and some sliced onion

I let this marinade for 2 days in the fridge.



Smoked with a bit of apple wood... and at a temperature of 275.


I pulled the roast off the smoker at an internal temperature of 145, wrapped in foil with the drippings and some beef broth. I let it rest for 30 minutes...





I made a sauce with the drippings and beef broth by bringing them to a boil and adding a bit of flour to thicken.
The venison saurebraten, rustic mashed potatoes .....grilled leeks with smoked cheese and bacon...


It was pretty tasty!




2 comments:

dracothehound said...

Jeanie that look good i will try your Marinade on some venison Just happen to get some fresh meat on sat
sad part was hit by a car but got a lot of good meat of it

Dave

cowgirl said...

Hey Dave, congratulations on the fresh venison. I know it will come in handy and taste good too.
This was the first time I've used this marinade..
The marinade sure puts a twang into the meat.
Good luck to you and let me know how you like it. :)