Search Feature

Friday, March 27, 2009

Getting ready....

Took these pictures last night while getting ready for the winter storm headed this way.
I do not mind snow, it's the wind and drifting that cause problems.

I hauled a few extra round bales to the cows and horses.....











They were happy. :)


The young heifers are growing fast...


My windmill repair job is holding up great! I think it even works better than before...



The windmill rod...


The water is pumping steady....



All's well at the pasture. :)



Things look a lot different today. lol
The storm has arrived, the wind is blowing...snow drifts are getting deeper. My electricity is back on right now. woohoo! :)
Neighbors have stopped in to check on me, some have stopped by to borrow flour, some were running short on fresh eggs. I know they were just keeping an eye out for me. :)
Several are out searching for calves.... makes me glad I had my cows bred at a later date.
The newborns lay down in draws to get out of the wind and weather, then end up being drifted in and die.
It's hard to find the calves in weather like this....
Hope everyone is keeping safe and warm!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing Life! Right out of a novel. I so do admire you and your lifestyle. You have great neighbors too! We need so much more of this kind of community in our lives.

You are a great mentor for us all.

Keep up the good work!

;)S

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Sure hope everything holds up for you Jeanie. It was warm here, but we had alot of snow drifting across the roads here today also. It seems maybe we're getting the same storm, I wonder.

cowgirl said...

Susan, you are too sweet! Thank you for the kind words.
My neighbors have been amazing...ready to help me anytime, anywhere. I'm a very lucky woman.

cowgirl said...

Hey Mark, hope you are doing well!
Sorry to hear the storm is reaching all the way up to you.

The snow is getting deep here. It's beautiful but I wish the wind would die down a bit. :)
The roads are pretty much closed in my area now.

Hope you are keeping safe and warm!

Anonymous said...

Great pics of your place!
Keep em coming!

grothe

cowgirl said...

Thank you Gene!
Things are starting to green up down here thanks to the snow. :)

Hope all is well at your farm! :)