Search Feature

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Chinese Five Spice Fried Ribs

I make these ribs in the house pretty often, they are one of my favorites. I decided to try them on the smoker...

I sprinkled the spare ribs with chinese five spice powder.....then onto the smoker for 2 hours with some pecan and apple wood.



After 2 hours, I foiled with a mixture of

5 whole star anise (you can use 1 tsp anise seed)

3 TBS sherry

3 TBS soy

1 tsp salt

3 tsp sugar

chopped onion

minced fresh ginger ( about 1 TBS)

After placing mixture in a measuring cup, I added enough water to bring it up to 2 cups.


I poured the mixture into the foil with the ribs meat side down...




I let these cook for another 2 1/2 hrs...




Then I cut the ribs into serving sized pieces and rolled in cornstarch...



Fried to a very light brown...just a few minutes on each side...




Make my five spice salt by mixing 1TBS of five spice powder with 5 TBS of kosher salt.
This makes a lot.. I store it for use later.
After frying the ribs I sprinkle with some of the five spice salt...



The chinese five spice fried ribs and a few spring rolls.....





They were very tasty....had a light crunch on the outside and they were moist and tender on the inside.
I didn't notice a smoke flavor, the five spice, ginger, soy, and other ingredients over powered the smoke.
I might try using a heavier smoke next time or just continue making these in the house. :)
I did like them... :)



8 comments:

dracothehound said...

your ribs look so good and the spring roll set them off

Dave

JunkerJunk said...

Genius Cowgirl, pure genius! -Marty

Ken said...

OMG, you cease to amaze me..... Now how, where , who did this recipe come from lol Ok , its time for me to help you with your cookbook, lets get stated. I was planning to do some flank steak this weekend but no, you have to come up with this ... Are you for hire..... lol

Again, you are truly unique, and I love what you do.

Thank You, OMG Thank you... lol

PS, will be real soon coming... lol

Ken

cowgirl said...

Dave, thank you! They are pretty tasty, hope you try them sometime. :)

cowgirl said...

Marty.. lol! Thank you..you're too kind!

cowgirl said...

Ken, Thank you too... I've made these ribs over and over in my house but had never tried them on the smoker.
They were tasty...but not smokey lol

I hope to hear a full report on your flank steak! :)


Thanks Ken. :)

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

You ribs look great! I have never tried other types of wood yet, just hickory. I think I'll ask my friend who owns an apple orchard to give me some apple logs to try.

cowgirl said...

Thank you YD!
Apple has a mild flavor, I really like it with pork.
Nice that you have a friend that can supply you with trimmings. :)