Search Feature

Monday, January 19, 2009

Smoked Duck and Andouille Sausage Gumbo

I made a pot of smoked duck and andouille sausage gumbo today. It was pretty tasty. :)
I started by making a batch of andouille and smoking the sausage and duck together on my horizontal wood burner...

The andouille sausage recipe... http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2009/01/smoked-andouille-sausage.html








I made my roux by using equal part of shortening and flour.... stirring until it reached a light brown color. ( I like a lighter roux)

Sauteed my onions, garlic, green peppers and some celery til tender....then added 1 TBs of chopped parsley...




After deboning my duck, I made the duck stock by covering the bones with water.
Then added onions, celery, garlic, kosher salt, cayenne pepper and a bay leaf.
I let this simmer for 2 hours...



Then strained the stock....



I combined the stock, roux, onion/veggie mixture, smoked duck and smoked andouille in a large pot...




I adjusted the salt, pepper and cayenne...then added a bit of worcestershire sauce to taste.
I let this simmer for several hours......




Served the smoked duck and andouille gumbo over rice, topped with a few green onions...


The gumbo was very tasty, the andouille even had a smoke ring....







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one looks increadable Jeanie! MAN I love duck!! You're going to have me weighing in at about 300 lbs in no time! LOL

Dave~

cowgirl said...

lol Thanks Dave!!
Hope you had a great weekend! :)