Search Feature

Friday, January 23, 2009

Simple Cactus Salad

This is one of my favorite salads. Really easy to make and you can add any of your favorite veggies...
I start with about 1 cup of cactus, cooked and cut into strips.
You can use canned, just rinse and drain.



Here's where you can get creative..... lol..... Add anything you like.

I use corn, minced onion, black beans, tomatoes. and diced jicama.

I mix my dressing ...
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2/3 cup light oil
1 TBS dijon mustard
salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder to taste.
You can use minced garlic instead of powdered.






Mix with salad and chill...


Mix again before serving... It's kinda tasty :)




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does cactus taste like?

Happy Monday, by the way :-)

cowgirl said...

Happy Monday to you too Becky!

Seems like the weekend went by fast. lol

I use cactus about like a green bean. It's a really mild flavor, kind of hard to describe, it doesn't taste like a green bean. Has it's own unique flavor....gee I'm not a whole lot of help!!

The stores in my area carry the cactus pods already scraped.. also have them cut up, I just parboil them. You can also get canned cactus and pickled cactus. If you use the pickled kind you need to rinse the brine off before using.

I am also able to get them from my pasture. It's a lot of work scraping and peeling the pods without getting poked. :)

Hope you get to try them sometime!