Search Feature

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Some really unimportant pics from my road trip

On the way to Rocky Ford Colorado last weekend, the farther west we traveled the greener the pastures and the cooler the air. I enjoyed the change of scenery. :)

At one road construction spot on the highway, the cowboy stopped in front of us came back for a visit...he said that 17,000 acres had burnt here due to train sparks. We had a nice visit with him until the traffic started moving again and he had to leave.





We stopped for gas at the Lamar truck stop west of town...



Then we had to stop at a Walmart to pick up fly swatters for the flys that hitched a ride at the truck stop. :)





We made it to La Junta....
The motel wasn't the best place I've stayed... but it wasn't the worse.
I shudder when I remember the worse place I've ever stayed. Vehicle broke down in the middle of the night in west Texas... the only place in town had a room for $3.00 a night...had a screen door with hook latch and a light bulb hanging from the center of the room with a pull string. I definately slept fully clothed, with one eye open and furniture piled against the door. lol







One of the downtown streets of La Junta. The little cafe on the right, the Copper Kitchen (with the blue canopy), had great breakfasts. I guess it was featured on one of Alton Brown's shows. The huevos rancheros was great! :)



We checked every farm stand between La Junta and Rocky Ford and this was by far the best place. It was so good that we visited it 4 times in less than an hour. lol Next time, we will skip the rest and head straight here. It's located on the west side of Rocky Ford.





They had a nice cage for roasting chilies...



ok this place was scary... it was a cement yard ornament business on the highway between Rocky Ford and La Junta.



The old building looked like a church... no one was around and the place was kind of creepy to me.



I scored a box of fresh peaches...



tatoes..



slicing tomatoes...



okra and green beans...



green tomatoes and one cantelope



We ate at the Boss Hogg Saloon ...



Everyone else had the steak special...



I went for the calf fries and a cold Coors Light :)



I kind of wished I would have tried a margarita though...they looked pretty good!



It felt good to stretch out and relax at the end of the day...



Yes, I stared at the ceiling....trying to find the energy to get back up and turn the stupid light off.

Why didn't I think of that before I layed down?



The trip was short but nice. I hope to go again next year. :)

16 comments:

Marc van der Wouw said...

It seems you had a great time;-)... the church looks nice to me...love those places..

Mrs. JP said...

Yes, lawn ornaments are creepy to me too. Those gnomes are like clowns to me -- creepy eyes. na uh,,not in my yard. Glad you had a good time and that is the best picture of a ceiling I've ever seen...hands down. :O)

marc said...

I am glad you had a safe and wonderful trip.

Calf fries over steak?

So many double entendres and innuendos that I think I better keep my fingers away from the keyboard.

;)

Anonymous said...

lol a picture of the celing? You're too cute Jeanie! Glad you had a good time and a safe trip...

Dave~

LindaG said...

What a great looking market stall.

Our worst room was in Canada during a snow storm. There was dog poop in the bath tub, the toilet needed cleaning and I'm pretty sure there were probably bugs in the room, but all that really stands out was the dog poo, lol.

Glad you had a good time. :)

ross said...

good to have you back

ross

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a good week-end, Jeanie.

Pool looks clean. And well kept. It is directly on the road/parking lot, but that must be why it is a motel;-).

But, why do hotels keep those horrible bedspreads around. As a guest you can only throw it on the floor, as do the maids.

From the preview image I thought it read 'do not share';-).

http://knappsfarmmarket.webs.com/

Triple T said...

Hay Cowgirl! Looks like yall had a nice trip. It's nice to get away and relax and take a load off! Hope your arms are getting better! I've never been out west and my wife and I have been planning on going on a trip. We might stop by and visit you if we come through your area. Oh yea wanted to ask about Mr Q is he doing better? We've been praying for ya'll. I hope you get some rain soon and some cooler temps! Hope you have a blessed day! Your friend Mark.:)

cowgirl said...

Marc the trip was nice. I think I have watched too many scary movies and the church looked kinda scary to me. lol I'm a wuss. :)
Hope you had a nice weekend..Thanks! :)

cowgirl said...

hahaha.. Mrs JP, Me too. Some of them are creepy!
Hope you had a nice weekend too! :)

cowgirl said...

lol Marc! Thanks for the laugh. (yes my face is red) lol

cowgirl said...

lol Dave, Thanks! Do you ever do that? Just lay in bed and stare at the ceiling, thinking of things you want to do or wish you were doing? :)
It's hard to turn my thoughts off sometimes.
Hope you had a great weekend!

cowgirl said...

Wow Linda, that room sounds pretty bad!! I can imagine the odor! :(

cowgirl said...

Thank you so much Ross! It's nice to see you. :)

cowgirl said...

Thank you Donald! It was a nice weekend. The room was kind of iffy but it could have been worse. :)
Thanks for the link!!

cowgirl said...

Mark Thanks! I seem to be having trouble not using my arms. lol They are not mending well.
I would love to meet you and your Mrs someday. Thanks for asking about Mr Q too. He is still hanging in there. I will pass your well wishes on to him.
Hope you had a nice weekend too!