Search Feature

Friday, August 5, 2011

More Southern Comfort on the Memphis Pro

One of my favorite comfort meals and soooo easy to make. :)
This time I used turnip greens and a breakfast sausage mix. Any sausage mixture will work and you can make it as spicy or mild as you like.



I wash the leaves and remove any thick stems..



then roll the sausage up "egg roll" style...



place in a cast iron skillet and fill 3/4 of the way with chicken stock.



I added some mac and cheese and covered both with foil.



After cooking in the Memphis Pro for 30 minutes at 325F, I removed the foil and added a batch of bacon biscuits...



I brought the pork rolls up to an internal temp of 145 degrees F



The smoked mac and cheese, bacon biscuit, turnip green pork rolls topped with a hot bacon dressing....





They are pretty tasty. You can use any combination of sausage and greens... and the hot bacon dressing adds sooo much flavor too. :)



Bacon dressing
I fried 5 pieces of bacon, sauted some minced onion in the bacon drippings.
Added about 1 TBS of flour to thicken..
Then added..
1/3 cup of water
1/4 cup of cider vinegar
2 TBs of sugar...you can add more if needed
Salt and pepper to taste

20 comments:

Smokin Don said...

Another fine winner Jeanie, sure do look good to me!! Don

Kevin (BBQ Smoker Site) said...

Man... this is a great take on the banana leaf cooking folks down here in FL do~!

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't the rolls be on a rack to steam them in the leaves, Jeanie?

Did you use any fine breadcrums to bind the fat in that pork, it is pork afterall?

All that fat has a very strong flavour, often too strong for me if I don't fry out most of the fat out of pork sausages.

D

JazzCat said...

Your ideas are soo fasinating Jeanie!
The plated dishes look fantastic!!
I wish I could say, "You have me eetin' out of your hand!"

LindaG said...

Your posts always look so good and make me hungry!

cowgirl said...

Thank you Don! It's nice to see you. Hope you are having a great weekend!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Kevin! I bet the banana leaf dishes are great in your area. I have a hard time finding the leaves here. I did find some once and did a mini underground cook. They worked great!
Hope you are having a nice weekend. Thanks again! :)

cowgirl said...

Hi Donald!
You could put the rolls on a rack but the leaves would dry out in the smoker. I suppose you could keep them covered with foil through the whole cook.
I don't use cracker crumbs when making sauasage, but you could make it more of a meat-loaf type filling. It would work.
I like the pork rolls simmered in the chicken stock. They stay moist and the stock adds a nice flavor to them.
Any combination of meat and leaves will work. I use what I have on hand at the time.
Good luck with them Donald! :)

cowgirl said...

Hey Jazzcat!! It's good to see ya. Hope your weekend is going well. Thanks for stopping by! :)

cowgirl said...

Thanks so much Linda, Hope you are having a nice weekend! I need to stop by your blog and see what you've been up to.:)

David P. Offutt - The Gastronomic Gardener said...

That sure looks good Cowgirl. Me thinks I'll run that with some of my frozen sausage and swiss chard for the greens. Thank you!

cowgirl said...

Thanks David! Your swiss chard and sausage sound like a great combination. Bet that will be tasty! :)
Hope you're having a nice weekend too. :)

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Turnip greens, that's kinda interesting Jeanie. I've never heard of that one before. Gotta try it sometime. It all looks pretty tastey to me Jeanie.

Tokarev said...

I gotta try this one!

cowgirl said...

Mark the list of things I'm gonna send to you keeps getting bigger. :)
Armadillo, rattlesnake, brisket, tumbleweed, tarantula and turnip greens. :)
Probably forgot some of them. lol
Hope you're not working too hard!Thanks Mark...

cowgirl said...

Tokarev, Any combination of greens and sausage seems to work fine. Good luck with them!
Thanks for stopping by. :)

Erko said...

Hi there,

Just noticed your grilling pictures and thought you might like this infographic charting the evolution of outdoor grilling:

http://www.become.com/resource-center/infographic/the-evolution-of-outdoor-grilling-infographic.html

Thanks,

Benjamin Edwards

cowgirl said...

Benjamin, thanks for the link. It's interesting! :)

Anonymous said...

Jeanie, You're AWESOME! You cook better over a campfire than most folks do in their kitchen. lol If I wern't so old and so married, girl...I'da come a courtin! ;) Please continue to post your increadable creations as I work my way through almost everything you've posted thus far.

Dave~ CA.

cowgirl said...

Dave Thanks so much.. You've made my day!
(((HUGS)))
I appreciate you stopping by! :)