Search Feature

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Wild Eats.......Lambsquarter and Venison

Lambsquarter season is here... I pick the plants before they get very big.





I've also been using the wild onions around the farm..







My sandhill plum wine for the morel mushroom sauce...



I saute wild onions in a bit of oil, add my hydrated morels, (dried from last season), also add the morel infused water, sandhill plum wine and a few herbs...



Fried a few slices of bacon, cooked more wild onions in the bacon drippings...



added the washed lambsquarter, salt and pepper to taste..



grilled some backstrap from this last deer season...Venison



The grilled backstrap with morel wild plum wine sauce, lambsquarter and wild onions..







one of my favorite meals...

16 comments:

JC said...

You are my favorite foodie! And this one sets a new bar!

cowgirl said...

Thank you JC! It was a satisfying meal in more ways than one.
I enjoy being able to use what's around me.
Thanks again...

Phil said...

Wild onions have a taste like none other! Looks delicious.

I've looked for morels on my 10 acres a few times this spring, but came up with nothing. Of course I have no idea what I'm doing lol

Marc van der Wouw said...

Great blog again..love the way you pick things from around the house....
Nice job;-)

Big Dude said...

No doubt you could survive if the grocery stoes ran out of food and I believe that is a good place to be. I should go out and pick you a mess of poke salat to go with your greens. My father-in-law would pick poke, curley dock, dandelion and blackberry shoots to make into a mess a greens cooked with fatty bacon of course.

cowgirl said...

Thanks Phil! I agree about the wild onions.. they have a flavor all their own.
Good luck with the morels, I hope you find some.

cowgirl said...

Thank you Marc! It's nice to be able to use things that grow wild. Hope you have a great week!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Larry! I would love some poke salad or mixed greens. :)

Mrs. JP said...

I don't know that plant. The meal looks delish.
I have enough of those wild onions--I should get brave and used them.

Rueben said...

Unreal!!! Is this just a blog or did I get forwarded to a Gourmet Restaurant? Fantastic looking meal. I want some....

cowgirl said...

Thanks Mrs JP! The onions are pretty tasty. Hope you give them a try sometime!

cowgirl said...

Rueben Thanks for the laugh! I needed that. :)
I'd share if you lived closer!

Old Smoke said...

Jeanie
So how are the cattle going to get fat and ready for market, when you're eating their feed?? lol..:)
Nice looking meal..

cowgirl said...

haha Rick... good point! Thanks :)

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

That's a pretty wild looking feast Jeanie. I suppose the wild eats helps keep the wild in the girl. Looks pretty darned tastey.

cowgirl said...

Hey Mark, Thanks! :)
I think you might be on to something.
I do have a bit of a wild streak or maybe a streak that isn't going to be tamed. lol
Could be from these wild eats. :)
Just part of who I am I guess.
Good to see ya. :)