Search Feature

Friday, November 12, 2010

The Rib-O-Lator

A big Thank You to Bob at Rib-O-Lator for sending one of his fine rotisserie units for me to try!

Instead of mounting the unit directly onto my drum, I wanted to build an extension.
I've had the Rib-O-Lator for months and had a problem finding a donor barrel to make the extension ring that would fit my drum.
I came up with the other 2/3 of the barrel I cut for the firebox on my smokehouse. (lol can't believe I saved that, but now happy that I did!)












The Rib-O-Lator is a 4 shelf unit that fits onto your rotisserie rod...




the old barrel section..



I used a resiprocal saw to cut the barrel to the size I wanted. Cutting the barrel on the outer lip of the ridge so it would fit on my drum...

The bottom barrel is just my work stand. lol



I drilled a couple of holes for the rotisserie rod..



I didn't want to permanently mount the rotisserie motor, it's a battery operated motor for camping... So I just bolted on a strap for the motor bracket to slip into...




the shelves have plenty of head space....














For mounting onto my drum, I use a regular ring to clamp the rotisserie extension on top.

This worked better than I had thought it would. :)





My only regret is I wish the extension piece I used was prettier. lol It has a few dents but it works!!






If you get the time, check out Bob's site. His Rib-O-Lator fits on about any sized grill. He also has other handy products for outdoor cooking.

Thank you again Bob... The Rib-O-Lator is great! :)

12 comments:

Joel said...

Cannot wait to see the first set of ribs!

Craig said...

Great Mod,you do know you have opened Pandora's Box this time. This is going to be the new toy on every one's Santa list this year. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Old Smoke said...

Jeanie
One of the guys at the Bash had one of those mounted on a pellet fired UDS and it really worked great. I think you will enjoy it. Looking forward to latest meal cooked on the Rib-o-later.
Rick

cowgirl said...

Thanks Joel! I was able to try it out on some brats.. It works great! :)

cowgirl said...

lol Thanks Craig! I hadn't thought about that but they would make nice Christmas gifts for the BBQer in the house.
Thanks Craig...

cowgirl said...

Thanks Rick! I forgot all about the Bash.. I hope they posted pictures. :)
So far the Rib-O-Lator has been a lot of fun!

B-O-B said...

great looking mod cowgirl. i'm glad the ROL now has a warm and productive home to live in. the plug wasn't necessary but it is appreciated. i cook fish on it and it turns out great. i baste it with some garlic butter and cook to internal temp of 145 and it melts in your mouth.

B-O-B

cowgirl said...

Bob I love the thing and plan on using the heck out of it! lol

Your garlic butter basted fish sounds excellent, I will be sure to give it a try.
I made some venison brats for my first cook on the ROL...they turned out perfect! I was impressed with how evenly they cooked.
I think these would make great Christmas gifts.

Thanks again Bob! :)

Chris said...

Excellent way to incorporate the Rib-O-Lator, ingenious!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Chris! I think the whole top section will fit nicely on my tractor rim fire ring too.. I'll have to give it a go while camping. :)

Jeffery said...

Nice! Would be lying if I said I was'nt jealous of that set up! :0

cowgirl said...

lol Jeffery... I've been having fun with this Rib-o-lator!
Good to see you, hope your trip to England was enjoyable. :)
Thanks...