Search Feature

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Plump Hen on my little grill

I have a small charcoal grill made for me by a friend. It's great for camping, I use it as an oven at times too. I used the indirect heat method for the hen, Hot coals on each side and a drip pan full of beer and seasonings in the middle to "steam" the bird.



I rubbed the bird down with butter, placed butter under the breast skin and seasoned with kosher salt, cracked black pepper and a bit of garlic powder...


I split open some tatoes, placed slices of bacon and onion inside and seasoned with salt and pepper...
I wrapped these up and placed them on my campfire along with my beer bread...


I placed a pan directly on some hot coals to make a caper sauce for the chicken.
First I sauted onions and garlic in a bit of butter...

Added capers, lemon juice and sherry....




The hen, ready to eat..

The hen was tender and moist, I like the caper sauce for a change too.
Along with the tatoe, campfire bread, cucs, salad and a twangy green tomato pickle.
It was a tasty camp meal.




No comments: