Search Feature

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Spatchcocked Apple Smoked Turkey


By spatchcocking or butterflying the turkey, it smokes a little bit faster. This is my favorite way to do one especially during cold weather. Takes less time and comes out beautifully.

I marinade the whole turkey overnight in a mixture of...
2 Quarts of apple juice or cider
1 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of kosher salt
2 quarts of cold water.
Make sure salt and sugar are desolved before adding turkey.
Cover and keep chilled overnight.





After marinading, remove from brine, dry off with paper towels.

Remove back bone and breast bone to make the bird lay flat.



I season the bird with a mixture of butter, kosher salt, cracked black pepper, onion and garlic powder and seasoned salt.

Place seasoned butter under breast skin too.


Onto the smoker. I smoked this one at 325 degrees until I reached an internal temperature of 173. I used apple wood chips for flavor.

After removing from the smoker, cover with foil and let it rest at least 30 minutes.


The finished turkey came out so moist and tender. The skin was tasty too!