Search Feature

Monday, October 28, 2019

Venison Buck & Bourbon




I never quite know what to call this dish. It's a comfort meal of venison, morels, herbs and a good dose of bourbon. It's warming!

I'm using some white tail buck from last rifle season.
Seasoned with cracked black pepper and coarse salt.


Rolled in flour and browned in bacon drippings...


I just brown them lightly, they're not cooked through..



I saute onions, scallions, garlic and a few herbs in the drippings...



return the venison cubes to the pot...added beef stock...


hydrated some of my dried morels (from the spring hunt). Didn't have bourbon on hand, so I went with whiskey!


I recently received some Kent Rollin's dry rub to try. He's located south of me a bit. I've not watched his cooking videos, but hear he does a good job!



Into the drum with a bit of hickory...



When the meat was tender, I added the morels...



Made a skillet of biscuits while waiting...


taste test...





Fixed a bowl of Buck n Bourbon, grabbed a biscuit and meandered out to the horse pasture to enjoy..



Venison and morels might be my favorite combination....





Chased the venison with a sip of Crown. All's right with the world. lol 




I'm looking forward to deer season. It starts next month for me. Hopefully I'll be able to restock the freezer and pantry with meat for the winter. If not, I'll enjoy the time out hunting anyway. The venison is a bonus! :)

Hope everyone is keeping warm and staying healthy!
Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

LindaG said...

Everything looks really yummy!
I've never tried morels, buy I've heard they're good.
God bless!

cowgirl said...

Thanks so much Linda! It's nice to see you!
Morels are pretty tasty. They might grow in your area! I find them here in the spring.
Hope all is well with you and family. Sending hugs from Oklahoma!

LindaG said...

We are doing pretty well, thank you. I hope you all are keeping warm today!
*hugs* and God bless. :)

cowgirl said...

So glad to hear all is well Linda!
The cold front came through and I got a bit of snow. Things are warming back up now. lol
Hope you're having a great weekend!